Cycle locks £2.49 Aldi special buy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I took a punt on one of these Aldi cycle locks within the last week. Ok for occasional use, and will fit in the pocket of my cycling jacket, or fasten on frame.

I sometimes call for a coffee at Macdees in the colder weather. I usually have to keep watch on the bike from inside while sitting near the door. They don't like you taking the bike inside. Easy for someone to jump on and ride off in seconds without a lock.

The coated 8mm dia cable is 1.8 meters. Various colours black, red, blue and white. Comes with 2 keys. £2.49

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-spiral-cable-lock/p/095999211653900

20180501_220328.jpg
20180429_173932.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I took a punt on one of these Aldi cycle locks within the last week. Ok for occasional use, and will fit in the pocket of my cycling jacket, or fasten on frame.

I sometimes call for a coffee at Macdees in the colder weather. I usually have to keep watch on the bike from inside while sitting near the door. They don't like you taking the bike inside. Easy for someone to jump on and ride off in seconds without a lock.

The coated 8mm dia cable is 1.8 meters. Various colours black, red, blue and white. Comes with 2 keys. £2.49

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-spiral-cable-lock/p/095999211653900

View attachment 406910 View attachment 406912
I've got something similar. Pretty handy if you're nipping into a shop or café and can keep half an eye on your bike when you are inside. A lot better than nothing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't rely on one of those where I live even to lock up a low-value beater, unless the bike was actually in view for the whole time and you just want to prevent someone doing an opportunist ride-away. More useful as a cheap secondary lock, say for securing your front wheel to the frame when the bike is already solidly locked to an immovable object.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
8mm single braid? Even if you can't just yank that tiny lock head apart (more likely if you put it high up on the bike, as then the frame can be used as a lever against the fence or parking stand), I suspect a reasonably large pair of cable clippers will be through that almost before you notice the thief has touched the cable.

It's debatable whether it's better than no lock because it will give some people a false sense of security and they'll take their eyes off their bike for longer. Selling that lock in places around Cambridge without some big warning that it's pathetic borders on irresponsible.

Top Bottom