Cycle newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swampyseifer

Hi all,

I'm Adam, I never really had any interest as riding a bike when I was a youngster, I maybe tried to learn 2 or 3 times but always gave up and went back to playing on my C64!

Now, at the ripe age of 28, I've been making some real positive changes to my life and health - I've lost 4.5 stone in the last year! I've started at the gym and I also want to learn to ride a bike so me and the wife can get fit together. Also kids are also just over the horizon and I hate the thought of not being able to teach my child to ride because I dont know how myself!!

So yeah...howdy! I know nothing about bikes, or how to ride them but I'm willing to learn!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum :hello: This is the place to get all the infomation you could possibly want to know to get you started. Once you have, you won't look back.

curzons246

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm Adam, I never really had any interest as riding a bike when I was a youngster, I maybe tried to learn 2 or 3 times but always gave up and went back to playing on my C64!

Now, at the ripe age of 28, I've been making some real positive changes to my life and health - I've lost 4.5 stone in the last year! I've started at the gym and I also want to learn to ride a bike so me and the wife can get fit together. Also kids are also just over the horizon and I hate the thought of not being able to teach my child to ride because I dont know how myself!!

So yeah...howdy! I know nothing about bikes, or how to ride them but I'm willing to learn!

curzons246

Veteran
Hi Swampy,

sounds like you've made a really good start - i'm 4 and half stone lighter than I was in 2007 and still have another 4 stone to go. Watch that cycling though it's real adicitive at least you didnt leave it until your fifties to find out.

Cheers Bill

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Hello Swampy - what kind of cycling are you keenest on? Road or rough stuff?

Hey

tbh I think I would prefer the offroad stuff. not sure about the heavy off-roading, you know like swerving down 45 degree muddy slopes, avoiding trees and all that. But definately riding through fields and along the less used roads and paths.

I work in London and I find it dangerous enough being a pedestrian sometimes, I hate to think what it would be like on a bike! So I dont think thats for me!

---

hey peteaud!

I have a mate who is really into road cycling, but keeps a mountain bike with thick tyres for occasion trips in the muddy stuff, but also uses it for 'training' sessions on the road - in the belief it makes her work harder. Given your interest in fitness a hybrid bike might be the way to go?

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

I have a mate who is really into road cycling, but keeps a mountain bike with thick tyres for occasion trips in the muddy stuff, but also uses it for 'training' sessions on the road - in the belief it makes her work harder. Given your interest in fitness a hybrid bike might be the way to go?

Thanks for the advice,

I have another thread going which is discussing how my few extra pounds will affect the bike I choose...some members have suggested that I consider a MTB seeing as the frame will be a bit sturdier and also the wheels will be thicker (and therefore not suffer quite so much from carrying me about!)

Top Bottom