Cycle Parking facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Where are they? Some people are prepared to just leave their bikes propped up outside shops etc. No way am I doing that! My bikes nothing posh, but I paid for it, it's mine, and I want it to stay that way.
Even my local Health Centre has NO where to secure a bike that has been used to hopefuly promote one's good health.
One of the two short racks in the town have at least two bikes with flat and buckled wheels attached to them that haven't moved for months - Grrreat :angry:.

Bicycle

We're very lucky where I am.

In the past ten-fifteen years the local cyclists' forum has pushed hard for improved facilities.

The station, the Health Centre, all the supermarkets and the town-centre carparks have bike racks that are never full.

Every few lamp-posts on the High Street also have those bike-chain loops on them.

Almost wherever I want to leave my bicycle, things are significantly better than they were ten years ago.

There's always room for improvement, but things are pretty good right now.

OP
OP
GetAGrip

GetAGrip

We are a long way off being anyway near good. How crazy is it to cycle through the town, out the other side to a Supermarket for 'bits and pieces' that I would actually prefer to buy at the small independent shops in the town. Mind you, our local council is not renowned for it's ability to listen to anybody unfortunately, unlike Supermarkets, nation wide bike stores and the like.

snorri

Legendary Member
Where are they?
Even my local Health Centre has NO where to secure a bike that has been used to hopefuly promote one's good health.
One of the two short racks in the town have at least two bikes with flat and buckled wheels attached to them that haven't moved for months - Grrreat :angry:.
Write or email to the manager of the said health centre pointing out the lack of cycle parking facilities. Ladle it on a bit by telling him/her that it makes it very difficult for you to follow the advice given by your GP and all the posters on the walls of the health centre regarding healthy exercise, obesity, etc. etc. without adequate secure cycle parking. Also count the number of car parking spaces and ask why lazy sods in cars seem to get all the space. You could point out that one car park space could provide cycle parking for 8 bikes. Also tell them you want Sheffield Stands and no cheap and nasty wheelbenders.
Regarding the Cycle parking in your town centre, write to your local authority, probably roads and transport department, tell them of your woes. If no satisfactory outcome there, find out who the local councillor is and write to him.
It's a bit of a pain having to write, but it's more effective than 'phoning or speaking to anyone, and you have a record of what was said.
In the longer term you could ask around and see if there is a cycle campaigning group in your locality, perhaps there is a nearby CTC group with a campaigning wing. Join up and help them.

Next!

OP
OP
GetAGrip

GetAGrip

Good advice snorri - slips of paper in suggestion boxes just don't seem to cut it. Though I did say as much on the comment I posted in the Health Centre Box. I think a letter to our local councillor may be a good starting place and like you say find other like minded groups and c.c the letter to them also.

400bhp

Guru
You know what-I'm going to write to the nursery where my child attends to ask them to put in a cycle stand. Good thinking. :highfive:

Top Bottom