Cycle path between Bishops Stortford & Braintree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On the OS map there is a cylepath along an old railway between Bishops Stortford and Braintree via. Gt Dunmow. Planning a ride in that general direction and might use it- anyone know what the surface is like and whether there are lots of annoying barriers?

JackE

Über Member
The quality of the path varies a lot. I did it recently on 32mm tyres (Marathons)....wouldn't have managed on anything thinner. There are a few width barriers but they're not a major problem. The main problem is the break in the old railway line around Dunmow. We found the path hard to follow (and rough) and ended up taking to the roads. Be patient as the best part of the route starts just the other side of Dunmow (near Felstead). The old station at Rayne has a good café.

Interesting to know, I was planning to do this route with the missus this weekend having never done it before, I take it, this is the route called the Flitch Way. We'll go on the MTB's then.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The quality of the path varies a lot. I did it recently on 32mm tyres (Marathons)....wouldn't have managed on anything thinner. There are a few width barriers but they're not a major problem. The main problem is the break in the old railway line around Dunmow. We found the path hard to follow (and rough) and ended up taking to the roads. Be patient as the best part of the route starts just the other side of Dunmow (near Felstead). The old station at Rayne has a good café.

Thanks very much, that's what I was after. I was going to perhaps use it as part of a longer ride but I'll be riding my Surly Pacer with 23mm tyres so I'll skip it for this particular journey but might investigate it on the 'cross bike another time. Cafe tips I can use!

deadeyedjacks

The old A120, now B1256 runs from Bishops Stortford to Braintree, pretty much parallel to the Flitch way, takes around an hour to ride. Not that busy now the A120 Dual carriageway exists.

Top Bottom