cycle post glued

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supersixone

never seen this before it looks like its been glued its not snapped and remains of glue or resin now the rest of the post in stuck in the tube any ideas
and the clamp bolts are mounted to the front

Attachments

• IMG20230220144105.jpg
    IMG20230220144105.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20230220144059.jpg
    IMG20230220144059.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230220144116.jpg
    IMG20230220144116.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 5

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh heck, the top section has un-bonded from the lower - unusual design.

You've not much post left but enough. How are you fixed for tools ? Drilling a hole right through it big enough for a threaded bar, and then getting it wedged in a vice and using the frame as a lever may just get it out. You definitely need something to get purchase on it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not entirely clear to me, but does the section of post attached to the saddle fit inside the section of seat post stuck in the frame? If so, could you not just glue it back in, using a strong glue like Araldite or similar? If that was the original arrangement it should be fine. But I would be tempted to try and remove the section of stuck post and replace with the more conventional arrangement; a longer one piece seat-post!

OP
OP
S

supersixone

yes the small section fits into the post in the tube look like its was glued
would like to have a standard post

Heat will shift it, but at the expense of your paint job.

My feeling is it is less likely to damage the frame than somehow gripping what's left and twisting it. You could very easily bend the frame that way.

If you were very careful, you might get a hacksaw blade in there and cut out a strip of the post. But you still might damage the frame.

I'd use a flame.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you known the bottom bit to move, before the adhesive broke? or is it proper proper stuck?

in other new the front mounted clamp bolt isn't an issue!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It may not be all that stuck, it may just be difficult to get a purchase on. I'd be tempted to tap it with a hammer. If it shifts, its not stuck, it's just stiff. Problem is you will just have moved it in the wrong direction. If it doesn't shift, then it's time for the flame throwers/ JCBs other things.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's scrap, so drill a hole and put a bolt/threaded bar theough it and see if you can turn it.

Dadam

Disclaimer: I have very little bike maintenance experience, just general DIY mechanical stuff. The clamp lugs appear to be welded onto the frame. Can you spread them apart slightly to reduce the clamping friction? One way might be to tap a narrow wedge into the gap between them. Another way put a long bolt or piece of threaded rod through the holes with two slim nuts that will fit between the lugs, and gently wind the nuts apart with two slim spanners. The lugs do seem to have a tapered surface at the back which would help the wedge method.

Gillstay

Über Member
Disclaimer: I have very little bike maintenance experience, just general DIY mechanical stuff. The clamp lugs appear to be welded onto the frame. Can you spread them apart slightly to reduce the clamping friction? One way might be to tap a narrow wedge into the gap between them. Another way put a long bolt or piece of threaded rod through the holes with two slim nuts that will fit between the lugs, and gently wind the nuts apart with two slim spanners. The lugs do seem to have a tapered surface at the back which would help the wedge method.

The clamps are probably not the problem as the tube left in the frame will be gripped much lower than that if its corrosion that's the problem.
You can open them up a bit more with a wooden or plastic wedge and do little damage, but as Fossyant says its probably best to drill a hole through the tube, quality releasing oil, not WD40 and get the tube moving with a bar or similar.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is a steel frame with an aluminium tube temporarily stuck in it.
"You could very easily bend the frame that way." @chris667 yeah, right!
@Dadam - this is very likely galvanic corrosion and is unrelated to the seat clamp circumferential force.
Per @fossyant - drill a ~3mm hole diametrically through the aluminium tube about 5mm above the seat clamp.
Insert a decent nail through (half inch both ends) and maybe bit of card to catch the nail (qv)
Per @Dogtrousers - welly the end (down) (with padding if you think you can repair seatpost). The post will either move or it won't.
If it moves then it'll move back up and out too (and the nail will have stopped it 'disappearing').
If it doesn't you're in 'remove Al seatpost from steel seat tube' territory (search for useful threads on that).
ETA: Here you are: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/p...g-in-a-steel-frame.174232/page-3#post-3528862

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

supersixone

the bike is 1990s claud butler the bike is total orginal all Tioga saddle tyres bottle holder acera group set twist grip acera hubs campag wheels
just the seat post is strange having two units the saddle clamp fits into the seat post tube and glued it gives no benefit
why have not got a clue
in the photos the saddle is just sitting in the seat post
hopefully i can remove the stuck seat post and replace

Attachments

• IMG20230220142742.jpg
    IMG20230220142742.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG20230220142712.jpg
    IMG20230220142712.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom