Cycle Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

The topic on tire pressures has led me to believe I require a pump with a gauge. Please advise on the usefulness of the pumps you have experienced. I am hoping to get a good pump that will be adequate for home use and on tours. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Magna

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12198&highlight=pumps

Sorry guys should of searched first but if anyone wants to add to this
thread . . .

col

Legendary Member
I used to use a car tyre pressure guage,it was metal with an insert that came out to show what the pressure was on a grid down the insert,it resembled a short pen,but i normally now just use my hand to check if the tyre is hard enough.

thePig

I would suggest you get a foot pump for home with a pressure guage. When on tour just take a minipump and rely on your thumb for pressure. Also, pump up at the gas station when you can - their pumps have pressure gauges. You will need a schrader / presta converter for this to work - this is a tiny metal adaptor which should be sold in most bike stores.

Iceniner

That tiny metal adaptor you're talking about is very cheap, (50p) from my LBS, so i brought a couple incase some went missing as they are very handy. If not even cheap footpumps tend to come with the little valve convertor along with the others for pumping up footballs etc.

Percy

Foot pump or track pump on tour? I'd like to see where you put it!

I did have a Zefal HPX, which was touted at the time as the pump to tour with. It fits in the back triangle of your frame, tensioned up. I never got to use it though because it jumped out of its housing and into my spokes thanks to a huge pothole on a hill climbing out of Biarritz. The wheel was ok, thankfully, but the end of the pump was shredded by the spokes. It had no guage on it though.

I bought a small replacement, with pressure guage, which I've used a lot at the side of the road. The pressure guage is useful, if only to show you how difficult it is to get a tyre up to 80psi with such a small pump, at the side of the road, in the rain etc. I'd go into the next LBS and get them to top it up on their track pump/machine.

In Italy, incidentally, they often have a motorised pump units outside the shop that you can just use. Other places too, probably.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can recommend this

Good pressure reached, not too big

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Blackburn pumps are good. The one on my bike has got abit dirty and had aload of slat from the roads thrown at it and its still good.
I have a track pump for home though, which i prefere to use, and i managed to pump up a car tyre with it faster then my dad with a foot pump.

Top Bottom