cycle scheme question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone ever used cycle scheme to get their other half or siblings a bike?

I haven't, but a work colleague did last year with no problems. He's 6'+ and she's not quite 5', so clearly not both for him and our HR are very pedantic, so I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

From my hazy memory, I think his total LOC for both bikes was under the £1,000 (ie £500 a bike).

Ganymede

Veteran
I haven't, but a work colleague did last year with no problems. He's 6'+ and she's not quite 5', so clearly not both for him and our HR are very pedantic, so I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

From my hazy memory, I think his total LOC for both bikes was under the £1,000 (ie £500 a bike).
But did he actually tell them it was not for him? HR might be pedantic but also unobservant and possibly ignorant about bikes. I also can't see that the scheme is designed for someone just randomly getting public money for buying a bike - I mean, maybe everybody should on the grounds that cycling is good for the nation, but this is specifically "Cycle to Work". I saw a similar thing on another thread where a fellow CCer is hoping to get his third bike on C2W - he doesn't cycle to work and the extra bike is an MTB intended for trails only. One of the advantages to employers stated in the scheme is a fitter, healthier employee so I suppose that might cover it, but if the bike is not for an employee wouldn't a person be open to an accusation of fraud?

I haven't got an axe to grind, it just puzzles me. Maybe everyone in the country should be allowed to have one bike tax-free.

Last edited:
But did he actually tell them it was not for him? HR might be pedantic but also unobservant and possibly ignorant about bikes. I also can't see that the scheme is designed for someone just randomly getting public money for buying a bike - I mean, maybe everybody should on the grounds that cycling is good for the nation, but this is specifically "Cycle to Work". I saw a similar thing on another thread where a fellow CCer is hoping to get his third bike on C2W - he doesn't cycle to work and the extra bike is an MTB intended for trails only. One of the advantages to employers stated in the scheme is a fitter, healthier employee so I suppose that might cover it, but if the bike is not for an employee wouldn't a person be open to an accusation of fraud?

I haven't got an axe to grind, it just puzzles me. Maybe everyone in the country should be allowed to have one bike tax-free.

HR wouldn't know what was bought I don't think. They just check you meet the criteria.

Also, everyone is allowed to have a tax free bike, provided they're employed and the company signs up to the scheme. It's not public money though, it's a salary sacrifice, so in effect you take a pay cut to fund it. Any tax loss is arguably more than made up by the health benefits and less traffic, pollution etc.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I was never able to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme, and I am retired now, so I can't get tax or VAT back. I thought it was a 'cycle to work' scheme. If it is going to be used (abused?) to provide bikes for leisure, bikes for relatives and so on, and if cycling is acknowledged by HMG to be a 'good thing' why not expand the scheme? Why not bikes for pensioners? Bikes for the unemployed? Bikes for the Obese? As Ganymede says - "Maybe everyone in the country should be allowed to have one bike tax-free?"

vickster

Legendary Member
My partner's employer doesn't do cyclescheme and she would cycle to work on it.
Why doesn't she ask her employer to offer the scheme if she is looking for a bike for commuting, rather than bending the rules? Alternatively interest free credit on an older model could work out no more expensive

Ganymede

Veteran
I guess the govt need someone to administer such a scheme and employers are the easiest.
Also, everyone is allowed to have a tax free bike, provided they're employed and the company signs up to the scheme. It's not public money though, it's a salary sacrifice, so in effect you take a pay cut to fund it. Any tax loss is arguably more than made up by the health benefits and less traffic, pollution etc.

I hadn't realised this. Campaign now for tax-free bikes for all!!!

I was never able to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme, and I am retired now, so I can't get tax or VAT back. I thought it was a 'cycle to work' scheme. If it is going to be used (abused?) to provide bikes for leisure, bikes for relatives and so on, and if cycling is acknowledged by HMG to be a 'good thing' why not expand the scheme? Why not bikes for pensioners? Bikes for the unemployed? Bikes for the Obese? As Ganymede says - "Maybe everyone in the country should be allowed to have one bike tax-free?"

I wouldn't disagree, and as it's Halfords that are administrating one of the schemes, I imagine they'd support that too.

jagman.2003

Über Member
I asked our company cyclescheme provider if I could 'in principle' but a womans bike for my wife.
They said if HR were to check the order closely they may reject it. But it was unlikely.
The provider rep also said as she had technically bought a man's bike. So didn't really see a problem.
Also as I regularly cycle to work anyway I didn't think it I was too far off the moral map.
I would like to point out at no time did I want the pike bike with tassles for myself.

Sandra6

Veteran
According to the rules you can buy two bikes of differing type, ie MTB and road as you could have alternate routes to work or want winter and summer bikes, but they both have to be the same gender. So you could buy your oh a bike but it would need to be a man's bike or unisex. Some lbs are more relaxed, I know someone who stretched his out and got bikes for two children as well as himself. Halfords tend to adhere to the rules of the scheme.

Top Bottom