Cycle seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edthevanman

Hi everyone
I have started cycling and need some help
How do people managed with bike seats without getting a sore bum?

What advice can you give me when looking for a saddle that will stop sore bottom syndrome.
You cannot try out a saddle and that is the problem
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Cheers
Pam

wlc1

Pam - . Do you wear cycling clothing ? Padded bib shorts etc are a great way to ease to burdon on your cheeks.

I think you may have been told some lies - of course you can try before you buy - sit on loads and see what suits you.

The bike shop I go to is excellent and will not bat an eyelid if you did so.

DLB

you'll get nearlty as many suggestions as replies with this question.

On a road bike thinner saddles are definitly better, but on ahybrid i'd try a brookes b17.

I did 63 miles yesterday on a saddle with a padded gel over saddle. You will get a lot of people here being against gel saddles but wearing padded shorts (same result).

The Sheldon Brown article is good and I agree the problem is made better by stronger legs supporting the weight rather than by a magic saddle.

As long as the gel is not leading to chafing I think it simply enlarges the contact area of the bum and saddle which is better.

Also I have two riding positions which I alternate between riding a bit back on the back of the saddle or a bit forward on the front more which gives a different contact area.

Do keep it up, it will get better.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use good padded shorts with a Specilized Avator.
The Specilized are good, they do different sizes and if you go to a bike shop then you can get measured up for which saddle width you need. This helps, and they have a huge range of saddles in different sizes.
Go into a bike shop and ask them if you can sit on some different saddles on bikes. Cant see a reason why they would say no.

HelenD123

Guru
Over The Hill said:
I did 63 miles yesterday on a saddle with a padded gel over saddle. You will get a lot of people here being against gel saddles but wearing padded shorts (same result).

I have one of these as well. I know people on here don't recommend them but I've found it really helps. I can do my 8 mile commute to work without needing padded shorts. Mine doesn't increase the width of the saddle but has a groove down the middle and extra padding of course. For about £5.00 from Wilkos it was worth a try.

Bob_betty

I've just got back into cycling for the first time since leaving school (about 10 years) and being a little large this is one thing that has been very difficult to adjust to!
currently doing 20 miles but spending the last 10 or so trying to avoid sitting, so hav just purchased a twin spring saddle of a popular auction website for £20 so I'm hoping that will do the trick!

Dave5N

Über Member
Chamois cream, every single time.

bonj2

specialized toupe. quite hard but 'correct' and therefore comfy overall. probably even comfier with chamois cream as a lot of soreness is in fact friction not pressure.

www.rido-cyclesaddles.com

Swear by 'em, and cheap too ! They work and do a far better job, imo, than most of the overpriced fashion statements masquerading as the ultimate saddle knocked out at ridiculous prices.

I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.

Top Bottom