Cycle shed in front garden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
This local council seem to be taking a hard line.
I know planning laws restrict what you can build in front of your house, but this little shed is well made and looks good to me.
Compared to the terrible things you sometimes see in people’s gardens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-57077470

As the link says, it is a Conservation Area, no doubt with an Artcle 4 direction. Conservation areas come with benefits*, but there are restrictions to maintain those benefits. Normal planning and development rights are limited - with good reason.

* eg visual amenity and property prices.

Broadside

Guru
The usual planning restrictions in front of a house prevent erection of a permanent structure, I.e. fixed to the ground. You can build a frame on wheels and then take the same shed and plonk it on top which is then allowed. If you’re trying to annoy the neighbours you can also drop a small shipping container on the lawn, it’s not permanent so it is difficult for the council to object to.

Chislenko

Veteran
Yet dump and old car on your lawn and let it fester and there's not much they can do.

Indeed, dump and old estate car on your lawn and store the bikes in that.

I know a radio ham who was forced to take his amst down by the carncil. He got hold of an old knacker of a car, welded a folding mast to that and stuck two fingers up at them. The carncil whittled and rattled and even did a site visit, but eventually conceded they had no authority over a motor vehicle parked lawfully on a private driveway. Its a Sierra estate, and is now woefully decrepit, and hopefully far more offensive to the eye than the original mast (which was also folding and only erect when in use a few hours a week, usually at night). We can live in hope that its in the direct line of sight if whoever the complainant was.

What about the mast? 😀

Badger_Boom

Über Member
This local council seem to be taking a hard line.
I know planning laws restrict what you can build in front of your house, but this little shed is well made and looks good to me.
Compared to the terrible things you sometimes see in people’s gardens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-57077470
The council may be ‘right’ in planning terms, but having looked the location up on Streetview I call their approval of the modern architectural abominations opposite into far more question than the almost invisible bike shed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps some Glaswegian busy bodies can come sarf, so when the carncil come to demolish it they could form a human shield and lay under their vans. Do something of use for a change.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I think it looks fantastic, I'd be really proud if I'd built one that good, hopefully they seem to have lots of support, so the right planning application may get approved, if not, perhaps a new base on small wheels would get around things, I don't know, but has to be worth a try.

Top Bottom