Cycle shoe catching on small wheels at rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikebanjo

Hi, it is my first time with a Brompton. I wondered if any members have had the same experience. It only happens on my right foot, the non-foldable pedal.
Any advice would be helpful, thanks, Mike

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Happened with my calves. Eazy Wheels improve matters, for £20. Or turn the "rattlers" around for free. The folded bike is less stable but you gain a few mm of clearance.

mitchibob

Über Member
Hi, it is my first time with a Brompton. I wondered if any members have had the same experience. It only happens on my right foot, the non-foldable pedal.
Definitely something I've experienced, although, I use SPD rather than Brompton pedals, but have worn inner side of right summer shoes and winter boots a bit. But noticed looking down on slower climbs (well, for me they're all slow), plus on turbo, that my right heal tends to come in naturally, but not the left. I don't really see it as a fault of a bike, more my body, and I have managed to do it less and I think improve glut engagement at the same time, by working on pedalling on that side, especially during some rehab last year and still not quite there with stopping knee wobbling to the left at the top of the pedal stroke since last breakage.

There's certainly enough float in SPD pedals though to allow heal to brush the little wheel at the back, though, so if you have similar natural gait on the right as me, it's definitely a possibility with standard Brompton pedals.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Or turn the "rattlers" around for free. The folded bike is less stable but you gain a few mm of clearance.
Are you talking about the old small standard (hard) plastic roller wheels? Those have been replaced with the current ones ages ago, already back in like 2016. So if the OP does talk about a halfway recent Brompton your advice does probably not apply (and even if it would you would replace one issue with another one that is even more annoying)...

mitchibob

Über Member
Weird that it's just the one leg.
As above - different rollers or look at your foot placement ?
Different rollers have been tempting to reduce a little rattle (although, taking them off and re-greasing spindles has worked OK for me), but since last leg break, and recovery physio and stuff, a lot of which on the bike on a turbo, some still in knee restrictor, I think had slightly positive effect on way that heal had come in previously, only on right ride. We're not all symmetrical.

PaulRoberts

yes from time to time.

once my trouser leg caught on the LH side as I went to put my foot down at the lights couldn't reach the floor and gracefully fell over.

Top Bottom