Cycle shorts advice..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie135

Regular
Hello all

I've recently bought a Boardman hybrid comp for my commute (23 miles round trip) and as the saddle was a little on the firm and narrow side I added a gel seat cover. This helps however still not the most comfortable thing.... I've read lots of conflicting advice since about the best way to go and I was hoping for a little of the usual sage advice...

I'm guessing that the saddle on this bike is fairly standard and as such I shouldn't really be looking to change it for a gel filled arm chair type however I did consider gel filled cycle shorts. I got some Muddyfox cycle shorts but they're foam filled and not too great.

I'm thinking from what I've read that the way to go here is ditch the gel cover and get some decent cycle
shorts with chamois insert. Does this sound like a good way to go? Would I get a better result from investing in a better saddle? I'm not terribly uncomfortable I just think there's room for improvement.

Many thanks for any help

Bin the gel stuff and get a decent saddle and some padded shorts.
Saddles are a bit of personal thing but I find the Selle C2 pretty good for me . I also have a couple of pairs of Skins bib shorts, great padding, brilliant fit and well worth the money. Worn under all sorts for off road and fine on their own for on road.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Lbs ,tell them what you are using them for ie distances and your time on the bike,and try a few pairs on ,if they don't fit they can cause all sorts of problems

Berties

Fast and careful!
Lbs ,tell them what you are using them for ie distances and your time on the bike,and try a few pairs on ,if they don't fit they can cause all sorts of problems

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on how far your riding as well.
I find the "entry " level 3 rated btiwn shorts from decathlon perfectly adequate for an hour or so , for longer rides the 5 rated shorts have been comfy for as far as i have ever ridden on a club run .

akb

Veteran
I considered them when I first started my 24 mile commute. Didnt in the end though; after a couple of weeks my bum got used to the standard trek saddle on the commuter.

Depends on how far your riding as well.
I find the "entry " level 3 rated btiwn shorts from decathlon perfectly adequate for an hour or so , for longer rides the 5 rated shorts have been comfy for as far as i have ever ridden on a club run .
The 5 rated shorts are pretty could in my experience - did me ok for a 110 mile ride last month.

Top Bottom