Cycle shorts advice..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Stevie135, 23 Jul 2012.

1. Stevie135

Stevie135 Regular

Hello all

I've recently bought a Boardman hybrid comp for my commute (23 miles round trip) and as the saddle was a little on the firm and narrow side I added a gel seat cover. This helps however still not the most comfortable thing.... I've read lots of conflicting advice since about the best way to go and I was hoping for a little of the usual sage advice...

I'm guessing that the saddle on this bike is fairly standard and as such I shouldn't really be looking to change it for a gel filled arm chair type however I did consider gel filled cycle shorts. I got some Muddyfox cycle shorts but they're foam filled and not too great.

I'm thinking from what I've read that the way to go here is ditch the gel cover and get some decent cycle
    shorts with chamois insert. Does this sound like a good way to go? Would I get a better result from investing in a better saddle? I'm not terribly uncomfortable I just think there's room for improvement.

Many thanks for any help

2. rusty bearing

rusty bearing Über Member

Bin the gel stuff and get a decent saddle and some padded shorts.
    Saddles are a bit of personal thing but I find the Selle C2 pretty good for me . I also have a couple of pairs of Skins bib shorts, great padding, brilliant fit and well worth the money. Worn under all sorts for off road and fine on their own for on road.

3. MrJamie

MrJamie Oaf on a Bike

dhb padded undershorts from wiggle are pretty good :smile: and they do bib ones if youre that way inclined.

MissTillyFlop likes this.
  4. Hamm

Hamm Regular

+1 what MrJamie said, DHB shorts provide excellent value for money.

5. Berties

Berties Fast and careful!

Lbs ,tell them what you are using them for ie distances and your time on the bike,and try a few pairs on ,if they don't fit they can cause all sorts of problems

6. Berties

Berties Fast and careful!

Lbs ,tell them what you are using them for ie distances and your time on the bike,and try a few pairs on ,if they don't fit they can cause all sorts of problems

7. johnr

johnr Über Member

I've just followed a recommendation from someone on the site (thanks if it was you!) and got some Zipvit shorts for £35 - incredibly comfortable and cheal for the quality.

8. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

I use Mavic and Pearl Iszumi shorts and I find them v comfy - both are on the generous side.

9. cyberknight

cyberknight As long as I breathe, I attack.

Depends on how far your riding as well.
    I find the "entry " level 3 rated btiwn shorts from decathlon perfectly adequate for an hour or so , for longer rides the 5 rated shorts have been comfy for as far as i have ever ridden on a club run .

10. akb

akb Über Member

I considered them when I first started my 24 mile commute. Didnt in the end though; after a couple of weeks my bum got used to the standard trek saddle on the commuter.

11. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Veteran

The 5 rated shorts are pretty could in my experience - did me ok for a 110 mile ride last month.

12. Graham1426

Graham1426 Active Member

Go for bib shorts, more comfy and they dont move about like some shorts do.

13. Part time cyclist

Part time cyclist Über Member

I took the advice from Many on here and got the dhb cycling shorts, best move I have made,

14. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

15. OP
    OP
    Stevie135

Stevie135 Regular

Great advice thanks, went with Selle C2 saddle and the dhb shorts - things looking up so far. Time will tell!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice