cycle stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KenG

For my 50th birthday last month my kids bought me a cycle work stand , one of those things that i was always going to buy but never got around to.
I used it today for the first time and realized i should have acquired one years ago!, i managed to adjust the brakes on all my bikes without having to break off and have a stretch to stop my back from aching. Its nice to be able to set everything up without either kneeling down or bending over, I'm even looking for jobs to do now.

:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
They're one of those things you always manage without, then you get one and wonder how you managed without one :biggrin: . Brilliant for working on the bike at a comfortable height, let alone all the other advantages.

Tasker

I brought one too - at vast expense. Then I discovered that a two pronged cycle stand did exactly the same job in that it lifted the rear wheel off the ground so you can fiddle about with gears etc whilst turning the pedals to your heart's content, and all at the fraction of the expense one of these aids the professional bike repairer, attending to bikes all day every day genuinely needs.

Yes of course, working at eye level makes it easier to those that have to work on bikes 8 hours a day. Day in, day out but to those that can't afford these workshop goodies - just get yourselves a double stand. (which also proves invaluable when fiddling around, stuffing things into Panniers - the bike just sits there patiently.

Suddenly finding yourself totally knackered on a tour, facing a hell of a hill in the wrong gear with no road that allows you to change? Solution. Why, simply set the bike back on it's stand, turn the pedals to the correct gear and HEY PRESTO! There you are, loaded up with all those essentials, ready to gasp your way up that pesky hill to the top!

OP
OP
KenG

KenG

I'll probably use this quite a bit for cleaning my bikes, i like to get into all the nooks and crannies around the brakes, bottom bracket, etc.
I think the next thing i,ll have a look at is a chain cleaner, they look like a good idea.
:smile:

naffa

I have just returned to cycling after a very very long break and I've been using a padded car axle stand under the frame to adjust the derailleur etc.

Thanks Nathan

I bought a workstand about 18 months ago, and it has made such a difference to working on the bikes. Now I "fettle" them - make slight adjustments or clean and lube them - whereas before I tended to wait till something stopped working completely before I put a spanner on it.

oliglynn

Über Member
Just got one the other week, and I wish I got it years ago! It makes it so much easier to clean & maintain the bikes!
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom