Cycle Super-Highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I bet you climbed up there and pulled a bit off, you did!!! :biggrin:

I was intrested as to what was hiding under there. I put the bag back on, so all is ok xx(

martint235

Dog on a bike
I actually went on CS3 with the Bromley massive yesterday and I must admit I found it a bit scary. It was out near Cable Street and the CS is raised similar to a pavement. Whilst this obviously stops traffic straying onto the CS I felt that if you were in the roadside lane of the CS and made a mistake perhaps when passing another cyclist, a 3-4inch kerb down to the road was going to hurt, a lot!!

I think, similar to shared cycle paths/pavement, I'll be leaving these CS well alone as I tend to commute at speed and I'd rather take my chances with the cars.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Guided rides are going to be run along the first two routes, these are aimed at new commuters that might be drawn to using the superhighways but are still nervous about using them. Marshalls will be on the ride to help new commuters, these are to be supplied by the LCC.

Looks like the starting times are around 7.30 for the furest place away from london, so taking around an hour and a half to get in, which is a nice pace for first commute.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15598.aspx#barclays

'm with Martin on this one. Our experience was interesting. I think there might be the odd collision between cyclists heading in opposite directions, with narrow 'lanes' like that...perhaps a touch of pannier jousting or, as Martin pointed out - a drop into the road if there is a loss of balance or adjustment required. Some was dull 'blue tarmac' - other bits were seeminly painted blue and had a sheen. A few dead kebabs, bags, dog mess and paper completed the picture. Interesting times.
28l5sn.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
tfl press release said:
The Mayor, Barclays and Transport for London (TfL) today launched the first two Barclays Cycle Superhighways, which aim to help significantly increase the number of Londoners choosing pedal power for their daily commute.

A key part of the Mayor’s commitment to stimulate a cycling revolution in the Capital, the two pilot routes run from Merton to the City via the A24 and A3, and Barking to Tower Gateway via the A13 and Cable Street. Around 5,000 cycle journeys are currently made every day on both pilot routes, with TfL aiming to increase this to 27,000 cycle trips a day by 2013.

As well as installing distinctive and highly visible blue cycle lanes along both pilot routes, at a minimum of 1.5m wide, works completed to make it safer and easier to commute by bike along these routes include:

· Trialing 37 cycle safety (‘Trixi’) mirrors at junctions along both pilot routes. These mirrors give drivers of large vehicles better visibility of cyclists when preparing to turn left;

· Introducing 84 new Advanced Stop Lines at least 5m deep at junctions along both routes, providing a space for cyclists to wait at lights ahead of the queue of traffic;

· Installing new segregated cycle lanes at the Stockwell Gyratory on the Merton to the City route, and upgrading existing segregated lanes at the Elephant and Castle bypass and on Southwark Bridge, Cable Street and the A13;

· Re-aligning traffic and bus lanes to create more space for cyclists on busy stretches of the Superhighways, for example on the southbound section of the A24 at the junction of Kennington Road and Brixton Road.

As part of Barclays Cycle Superhighways, TfL is also providing funding for the eight London boroughs and local businesses along the pilot routes. The money will used to fund around 5,000 cycle parking spaces, over 17,000 hours of cycle training and more than 3,000 hours of cycle maintenance sessions. TfL has already installed 300 new cycle parking spaces along both pilot routes to cater for the anticipated increased demand from cyclists using the Barclays Cycle Superhighways.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A full video of route 3 from tower gateway to barking

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WvqGS7GYy8

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I like the idea of diplaying cycling time to destination (maybe they mean on maps, but I'd like to see signs by the road). Add in driving time (assuming normal peak traffic) and some people in cars might start to see sense...

Otherwise, token road paint is just that - token.

that is a really good idea!!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I went to the launch this morning and got hasseled by some police officer talking to me about getting my bike stamped, even after i said no thanks for the 4th time he still continued. Anyway i walked around, saw a few people i knew from TFL that had been working on it, some people from the LCC and CTC, some cycling magazines and some london bloggers.

Looking around i certainly didn't fit in with all the suit wearing, looking down their nose types that probably don't even cycle but are just there to get in some photos. So i decided to take some free stuff and get off to work.

I'll continue to let my videos do the talking. Route 7 is looking nice, still some minor issues around E&C. Route 3 on the other hand is bad in some places. i got lost on several occasions and much of it is on pavement which is made of bricks, less than smooth.

Lurker

... Route 3 on the other hand is bad in some places. i got lost on several occasions and much of it is on pavement which is made of bricks, less than smooth.

Brick paving sounds worrying in itself - that's going to be lethal in icy weather (and how likely is it that any attempt will be made to grit it?)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think gritting it will be forgotten at first! I doubt many people walk alongside the a13!
Drainage will also be a big issue, I can see now plenty of standing water forming on the route.

Top Bottom