Cycle Superhighway at Blackfriars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Who designed the newly revised cycle superhighway at junction with Embankment and Blackfriars.

When you cross the main road, the new junction is set up so that you cannot possibly see the lights until you have turned to cross the road. It is a serious accident waiting to happen.

a 5 year old child could have designed a safer junction

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Which junction from which direction?

It's not a great junction and there are multiple choices of routes through in various directions, some of which are much faster than other. There are so many junctions in the Blackfriars complex and highways designers try to make it so you can't see each other's lights, sometimes with hoods and sometimes by turning them... often they get that wrong, especially for bikes.

I know some double junctions where I can see an irrelevant green light for the far junction more easily than the red light for the junction I'm actually at - I don't report that because I fear highways would react by removing a usual green phase from the far junction.

There is a bit of a marvelling not that it's been done well at the first attempt, but that it was done at all, given the opposition from the Old Men In Limos.

mjr

Heading East West and also west east along the Embankment
Where it crosses from the north side through the underpass to the south side along the embankment? Has something happened to the lights facing up the cycle track? A motorist crashed into them, perhaps? But in both directions? Vandalism?

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Where it crosses from the north side through the underpass to the south side along the embankment? Has something happened to the lights facing up the cycle track? A motorist crashed into them, perhaps? But in both directions? Vandalism?
They have moved the crossing west and changed it completely. The ramp to Blackfriars Bridge is now on North Side. However, the problem as I see it is you cant see the lights until AFTER you have turned to cross the road

mjr

I see. I found some videos which I linked below. Eastbound, I think you can see the signal across the road before turning, but westbound looks rather wrong - they wouldn't do it to motorists. Generally, it all looks temporary and a farking mess. I didn't see a consultation about it, else I expect someone would have pointed out the problem. Is it a temporary layout for some roadworks? I've asked TfL about it: https://mobile.twitter.com/mjray/status/834441934596882435

Eastbound:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01dw6qP60s

Westbound:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdOcJbxyN8

J1888

Über Member
Is that why there's TFL marshals there shouting 'this way for Embankment' at the first right turn from north to south before the bridge then?

As I just go straight across it's OK, but some of the cycling is so piss poor and bordering on dangerous it makes me wonder about having so many cyclists being packed into a small space. That said, much prefer it overall to having nothing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Who designed the newly revised cycle superhighway at junction with Embankment and Blackfriars.

When you cross the main road, the new junction is set up so that you cannot possibly see the lights until you have turned to cross the road. It is a serious accident waiting to happen.

a 5 year old child could have designed a safer junction
Yep, westbound is proper poo.

I think it's a temp junction though to allow road works...possibly an extension of the highway.

All due to new so-called Super Sewer works (official name Thames Tideway Tunnel). I stopped yesterday and chatted with the TFL guys. They are aware the temp works out in place are a mess. But they didn't say they'll improve it. You'd think they only had a day's notice of this. :angry:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom