Cycle through royal parks in the evening?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

okigen

Regular
Hi all, my commute consists of going from Queensway down to the River Thames. Thus it will go through a very nice route across Hyde Park, Constitutional Hill (the bit of Hyde Park that goes down to Buckingham palace, not sure the official name), Buckingham palace and St James Park.
My question is whether these routes are well-lit in the evening? (let's take the benchmark as the big road around Hyde Park which I think is quite well lit). And also are we actually allowed to cycle through them in the evening ? I heard a few will close after dusk.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can’t cycle in some of Green Park if that’s the one you mean?

have you checked the royal parks website? Gives the hours for each park
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/managing-the-parks/cycling-in-the-royal-parks

Last edited:

gizmo1994

There is a really good and well lit dedicated cycle way on the route you mention. Through Hyde park from the north, skirting to the east edge of the park and then crossing to Constitution Hill at Hyde Park Corner. In front of Buck House you can then head down the Mall or, as I do, follow the cycle route round to Birdcage Walk along the southern edge of St James's Park, ending up at Parliament Square. The entire route is separated from motor traffic but can be busy with cyclists. You won't need to venture off the cycle routes in order to head through the parks.

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
There is a really good and well lit dedicated cycle way on the route you mention. Through Hyde park from the north, skirting to the east edge of the park and then crossing to Constitution Hill at Hyde Park Corner. In front of Buck House you can then head down the Mall or, as I do, follow the cycle route round to Birdcage Walk along the southern edge of St James's Park, ending up at Parliament Square. The entire route is separated from motor traffic but can be busy with cyclists. You won't need to venture off the cycle routes in order to head through the parks.
Thank you. I'm trying it out tomorrow. Finger crossed :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank you. I'm trying it out tomorrow. Finger crossed :smile:
You'll be absolutely fine. I've ridden that route dozens of times. Cross over Hyde Park Corner by using the pedestrian crossings if you don't fancy the (ahem) bracing experience of riding round it in several lanes of traffic.

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
You'll be absolutely fine. I've ridden that route dozens of times. Cross over Hyde Park Corner by using the pedestrian crossings if you don't fancy the (ahem) bracing experience of riding round it in several lanes of traffic.
Happy to report that I got to the office safely :laugh: It's a very nice route indeed, through the parks and down to CS3 along the River Thames. Now I only need to work on my speed - 1 hour for 7 miles isn't super ideal :rolleyes:

Top Bottom