Cycle to work insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelb

Hi

Hopefully will be collecting a new bike under the "cycle to work" scheme tomorrow, so I need to organise insurance.

Currently, bike is kept outside my back door, in the garden, unlocked.

Could make space in the shed, but no easy way to create an "immovable" object to lock it to.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm probably wasting my time trying to comply with the exclusions for when the bike is stored at home, just gives me cover when I'm out and about (in a shop etc).

What do other people do?

Nige

NigC

Good point - I'll have to check my insurance now and see what the policy looks like :evil:

Fortunately I have a shed to keep mine in, but if I didn't I would probably fix a length of anchor chain to an iron bar, dig a big hole and fill with concrete with the bar and chain in it. Making sure that enough chain came out the surface to lock things to. Lock bike to chain and cover with a tarp.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

In a shed, most policies seem to say "lock to an immovable object".

I haven't found a policy yet which allows keeping a bike outside, even if it is locked to amimmovable object!

However, I do have a bike cover (~£5 from Tesco) so could put a locking point in the wall, lock to that, and cover, but I don't believe the insurance would cover the bike, it would just reduce the chances of it getting stolen (or wet!).

Nige

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wall or ground anchor and use a good D-lock. Your insurance will require it to be locked if outside...e.g. railings, sheffield stands etc.

Otherwise, you'll be paying for a bike you no longer have.

nigelb said:
I haven't found a policy yet which allows keeping a bike outside, even if it is locked to amimmovable object!

Mine lives indoors so no problems there but I think you could lock it outside IF your lock was on the gold list and IF it was to an immovable object and IF you didn't leave it alone for more than 12 hours* because it would then be 'abandonment' (24 if at a train station).

As always, check your fineprint.

*getting home from work at 6pm and only leaving for work at 8am the next day would therefore technically be abandonment (assuming you only used the bike for commuting).

OP
OP
N

nigelb

I don't think abandonment is invoked if the bike is at your normal residence.

What I will do is have a Sold Secure Silver lock at home, same at work (lugging those round is no joke!) Silver being what the insurers specify (bike is ~£450).

What I won't be doing is putting it in my garage, which is in a block 100 yards away from the house, and nobody heard when the entire block was raided, one after the other :evil:

Nige

nigelb said:
I don't think abandonment is invoked if the bike is at your normal residence.

Sorry, i think in terms of flats not houses....

If mine was outdoors it would be in 'a place to which the public have access' so it would be abandonment (I think!).

Having said that, if you can lock it outside *in public* for up to 12 hours; why not in your rear garden?

My policy details:

Section A - Pedal Cycles
This section indemnifies you against theft,
accidental loss or accidental damage to
pedal cycle(s), as specified on your ETA
customer statement, occurring within the
geographical limits of Britain, including a
period not exceeding ninety days during
any one period of insurance in Europe
and sixty days worldwide.
Special Exclusions Applicable to
Section A
This section does not cover:

3. Theft or attempted theft of the pedal
cycle(s) whilst left unattended in a
public place at any time unless:
a) the pedal cycle is secured by an
approved lock attached to an
immovable object, or;
:evil: it is locked in a building/vehicle
where theft is occasioned by a
forcible or violent entry. In this
instance, the pedal cycle must be
stored out of sight.

9. Theft following abandonment

where

1. Abandonment means being left in a
location to which the public has
access for more than 12 hours at any
one time or 24 hours in respect of
cycles left at train stations, provided
you have complied with all the security
requirements laid out in this policy.

Now the finer points as to whether your back yard is 'public' or not is beyond me but I can't see them paying out if it was nicked from your back yard without being locked to something, trespass or no trespass...

redddraggon

Blondie
nigelb said:
What do other people do?

I keep my bike inside

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I recently renewed my contents policy and, following another discussion on here about having to reinforce sheds, I checked and they said locked inside a a shed was OK. Nothing about having to have bolts sunk into concrete beneath the shed or anything.

Must depend on the insurance company...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My new house insurance covers me for bikes up to £300 each including theft outside the house assuming it is locked up + £1000 personal loss insureance for theft of personal items outside the house.
Not enough for many here but covers my 2 bikes as they are around the £300 mark each anyway.

Mike!

Guru
Insurance is something i'll be looking into as i'm now out and about on the bike a bit more.

As for locking it at home it's currently in a shed. I'm intending to build a little 'bike house' against the back wall of the house to which i'll attach an anchor with a huge chain i used to use for a Motorbike, the bike 'house' will also be locked.

I will also fit a cat flap to it for our little furry friend as she's scared on the 2 year old an won't come in during the day!!

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Unfortunately, that would mean substantial re-organisation in the shed, as well as stripping off fibre board insulation etc.

Think I'll opt for a secure anchor point outside, padlock to that, then put a plastic rain cover over the top.

Nige

jimboalee

I haven't got bike insurance.

To get a bike out of my shed, the villian would need to get over a six foot gate, over a coil of razor wire, break off three bolt hatches, clamber over a lawn mower, rearange some rake and broom handles so a garden fork doesn't swing into them, lift the bike over a workbench without spilling the jar of battery acid and then get the bike over the razor wire and over the six foot gate.

This is if they don't trip over the string attached to a big bell on the side of the house.

Then, after all this, they find the MTB they got in to steal is worthless, the better bikes are in my spare bedroom.

Top Bottom