Cycle to work scheme MTB for 1k.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You don't have to justify to anyone what use your new bike is for!
Just ignore the holier than thou tossers you occasionally come across on here.
Well, that's you off my Christmas card list! :hello:

KneesUp

Guru
I bought my Ribble TT bike on the C2W scheme :thumbsup:
And do you Cycle to Work on it, or did you benefit from a subsidy paid for by other taxpayers fraudulently?

(No doubt disapproving of that makes me 'holier than thou', but I suspect few people who think it's ok to get the taxpayer to subsidise a bike for someone who is in work, and that won't be used for it's intended purpose would think it equally fine for someone out of work to fraudulently claim some other sort of benefit)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
And do you Cycle to Work on it, or did you benefit from a subsidy paid for by other taxpayers fraudulently?

(No doubt disapproving of that makes me 'holier than thou', but I suspect few people who think it's ok to get the taxpayer to subsidise a bike for someone who is in work, and that won't be used for it's intended purpose would think it equally fine for someone out of work to fraudulently claim some other sort of benefit)
Who the hell is this joker?? LOL

razer17

I got my bike on the Cycle Scheme. Fantastic scheme, I love it. People moaning about having to use it for commuting because it's robbing you of your taxes are being daft. For a start, there is no requirement to use it for cycling to work. They suggest that at least 50% of it's use is for commuting. But how is that measured? Miles? I can do a 30 mile ride on a weekend, and then cycle to work 4 days and still not hit 50% commuting use. Plus, it's good for your health and helps reduce your carbon footprint and what not, so even if you don't use it for commuting it has some positive benefits that the government could spend money on.

I'm disappointed that this thread has been so derailed, though, since I came here looking for some sub £1000, decent mountain bikes to complement my road bike.

shadow master

I've certainly had bike's refused on the cyclesheme as they were deemed unsuitable,toughened up on it a bit lately....if your free to choose what and where you buy it,The scheme CAN work well for most people,but if your employer has signed up to the crazy system that virtually tells you what and where you can buy it,The whole thing becomes a total farce!

razer17

I've certainly had bike's refused on the cyclesheme as they were deemed unsuitable,toughened up on it a bit lately....if your free to choose what and where you buy it,The scheme CAN work well for most people,but if your employer has signed up to the crazy system that virtually tells you what and where you can buy it,The whole thing becomes a total farce!

I think Halfords has a cycle scheme that is only for bikes through them, which is fairly restrictive.

As for what would get refused, surely you could use almost any bike as a commuter. Maybe a fat bike is a bit of a stretch as a commuter, but other than that a mountain bike or a road bike will be able to double duty as a fun bike on weekends and commuter in the week.

shadow master

I think Halfords has a cycle scheme that is only for bikes through them, which is fairly restrictive.

As for what would get refused, surely you could use almost any bike as a commuter. Maybe a fat bike is a bit of a stretch as a commuter, but other than that a mountain bike or a road bike will be able to double duty as a fun bike on weekends and commuter in the week.
Not surprisingly it was a downhill bike!

razer17

Not surprisingly it was a downhill bike!
Would require the guy running the scheme to know his bikes, though, wouldn't it? Think some of the lads at my work are on their third scheme bike, and a guy who bought a woman's medium bike second, despite being a 6"2 burly bloke. Guess it all depends on who is running the scheme at your work.

Sadly, the new mountain bike will be bought with cash or financing, since I don't want to wait till July for my current scheme to finish.

To actually answer the thread's question, Wiggle have a 27.5 or 29er Boardman Pro going for £800 at the moment, and I'm pretty sure they accept the Cycle to Work scheme, Looks a good bike, especially at that price. My Dad has a Cube Acid which is like £700 on Rutland Cycling, and that seems a good bike too. Although that Acid is criminally under used, if he wasn't so much shorter than me I'd have commandeered it for myself.

shadow master

Would require the guy running the scheme to know his bikes, though, wouldn't it? Think some of the lads at my work are on their third scheme bike, and a guy who bought a woman's medium bike second, despite being a 6"2 burly bloke. Guess it all depends on who is running the scheme at your work.

Sadly, the new mountain bike will be bought with cash or financing, since I don't want to wait till July for my current scheme to finish.

To actually answer the thread's question, Wiggle have a 27.5 or 29er Boardman Pro going for £800 at the moment, and I'm pretty sure they accept the Cycle to Work scheme, Looks a good bike, especially at that price. My Dad has a Cube Acid which is like £700 on Rutland Cycling, and that seems a good bike too. Although that Acid is criminally under used, if he wasn't so much shorter than me I'd have commandeered it for myself.
Was the cycle scheme itself that refused the bike! They check the type and more importantly the claimed market value

Big Nick

My Dad has a Cube Acid which is like £700 on Rutland Cycling, and that seems a good bike too. Although that Acid is criminally under used, if he wasn't so much shorter than me I'd have commandeered it for myself.

I got a Cube Acid on the C2W (and yes I do commute on it!) it's a really good tough bike with a half decent front end

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Many bike shops won't touch Halfords vouchers as the commission charges are so much higher than all the other schemes such as the NHS. Trust my company to have the worst one going. Still it's better than nothing. Although I believe it should just be one single scheme in the U.K.

Top Bottom