Cycle to work scheme - +

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just by another one. Can't have too many bikes.

Downward

Guru
As there are loads of threads about this I have just chose this one at random.

1. Has anyone "bought" their bike after the 12 months yet ?
2. Has anyone spent a part of the £1k allowance say £500 for Bike and then a few months later bought more equipment say £200 for Winter goodies ??

Just wondering if it is possible to do the 2nd one ?

oxbob

Downward said:
As there are loads of threads about this I have just chose this one at random.

1. Has anyone "bought" their bike after the 12 months yet ?
2. Has anyone spent a part of the £1k allowance say £500 for Bike and then a few months later bought more equipment say £200 for Winter goodies ??

Just wondering if it is possible to do the 2nd one ?
1. Yes, company charged me 1 month extra payment £30 odd summat
2. no, you have to get everything in one deal

pinkkaz

Veteran
Downward said:
Thanks

Did you do the scheme again after purchasing ??

Hello, my husband has just made the final payment on his bike (was about £30 to buy from the company) and is about to do scheme again to get a better bike - a Condor Fratello!

Downward

Guru
pinkkaz said:
Hello, my husband has just made the final payment on his bike (was about £30 to buy from the company) and is about to do scheme again to get a better bike - a Condor Fratello!

I think the Wife would kill me but a Road bike is tempting so maybe I could buy the wife a new bike too !

doyler78

GrahamG said:
I'm a lower rate tax payer but the company passed on the VAT saving too so it worked out about 43% - it would have been about 50% if I was a higher rate tax payer. I didn't have to buy the bike at the end of it either; they must have just gifted it and put £00.01 against the value or something because nobody was ever asked for money!

It may seem strange to say this but I wouldn't be happy not have paid for it at the end as effectively you still do not own the bike as the company cannot waive the payment. At the end of the hire period the company owns the bike and has therefore got an asset. They can of course decide to do with the bike what they want and the only rules regarding disposal are in relation to the employee him/herself as to how the sale should be conducted. They of course do not have to sell the bike and can continue to allow you to just use the bike however it's not yours. What happens if you leave?

Willow said:
I bought my new bike last weekend. Had a quick look at the scheme but decided as I didn't think I would be cycling to work until next Sept that I wouldn't qualify. This afternoon a friend said she bought her bike under the scheme and she never cycles to work. Is it possible to join up retrospectively assuming my emplooyer (Surrey county Council) has such a scheme.

today was my day off so I cycled 6 children to school in the pouring rain (not all mine I hasten to add) the car drivers are unbelievable absolutely no consideration even though our right of way. Have told the children to ride down the middle of their side of the road when there are parked cars etc on other side so that the stupid drives can't try to squeeze past.
The county council I work for has a Bike to work scheme but you must use it for for work, but unless they check up how can they prove you don't use it for work, but I didn't have to wory about that as I use it every day.

GrahamG

Guru
doyler78 said:
It may seem strange to say this but I wouldn't be happy not have paid for it at the end as effectively you still do not own the bike as the company cannot waive the payment. At the end of the hire period the company owns the bike and has therefore got an asset. They can of course decide to do with the bike what they want and the only rules regarding disposal are in relation to the employee him/herself as to how the sale should be conducted. They of course do not have to sell the bike and can continue to allow you to just use the bike however it's not yours. What happens if you leave?

It really doesn't bother me - considering I only own a handful of parts left over from it :rolleyes:
I work for an engineering consultancy, they have no interest in owning a bike.
That one finished two years ago so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've since had a second bike on the scheme (cyclescheme instead of halfords) and have just made the final payment.

doyler78

GrahamG said:
It really doesn't bother me - considering I only own a handful of parts left over from it ;)
I work for an engineering consultancy, they have no interest in owning a bike.
That one finished two years ago so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've since had a second bike on the scheme (cyclescheme instead of halfords) and have just made the final payment.

Lucky you. There's no way anybody would waive payments here. Getting them to introduce it in the first place was a nightmare however I can't complain now and unlike the rest of the public sector over in England, Scotland and Wales we can reclaim the VAT back and they pass it on to us. Should save around 40% with the final payment included :tongue:

I'm already planning my next purchase. Cheapest bike I can find with a powertap sounds a good way to go ;)

Stange

Just got back from work to find my voucher waiting for me! I'll be off to Evans on Saturday to do a couple of test rides. The Trek 1.5 is top of my list (already had a spin, like it a lot) but, what has happened to the Felt F95??? Evans do not have an answer!!

is it silly that I'm so excited by this?

Mortiroloboy

A couple of years ago my budget manager sent out literature, but as I cannot cycle to work due to - distance, shower facilities (lack of), nature of job reasons, I wasn't able to take advantage of the scheme, and I certainly wouldn't consider 'taking advantage' either, as it would be dishonest, and as I'm in the honesty business it wouldn't be right, or proper.

Stange

Just been to do the deed. Will be picking up my Trek 1.5 double later this afternoon. I've got some spd pedals fitted, some new shoes and a wireless computer. Bring on tomorrow morning for the first ride!!

Top Bottom