Cycle to work scheme??

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by weely, 15 Apr 2010.

1. weely

weely Well-Known Member

I currently work for The coop ( now must be called cooperative!!) and having spoke to my branch manager about the scheme, he came back to me and just said 'we dont do it'.

Im just wondering why a so called 'Green' company doesnt bother its arse to do this for its 100 000 employees?

does anyone on here work for the coop or can anyone tell me how to put pressure on the fat cats at the top??

I want a new bike!!!!!

2. Maggot

Maggot Guest

I'm shocked, I would have thought they would be positively forging the way ahead:ohmy:

3. Maggot

Maggot Guest

So shocked was I, that I had a quick flick around their website. Wave this page in his face:evil:

4. OP
    OP
    weely

weely Well-Known Member

I dont think its my managers fault as he is small fry I need to go much higher up but its hard to find out who to go to.

I wonder if my union could help??

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I would hazard a guess at trying Human Resources, or whatever they call Personnel these days....

6. Chrisc

Chrisc Über Member

We can't have it at work either. The government changed the rules in November so that the scheme has to be available to every employee, even if they only work one hour a year for the company, effectively rendering it dead in the water. C2W schemes are closing hand over fist.

7. Norm

Norm Guest

That still isn't a change in the rules, it's always been a fundamental part of getting the tax relief.

8. Mille

Mille New Member

How would that work? you wouldn't be earning enought to be able to make the salary sacrifice :laugh:

9. Chrisc

Chrisc Über Member

Exactly...our hr dept told me that they were all set but in Nov there were a new set of rules brought in that effectively stopped them from implementing it. Prior to Nov there were allowances made for people on low hours or low pay to be left out of the scheme, these allowances were removed last year.
    A cynic may draw the conclusion that the govt want the scheme ended...

Ah well, I'm happier having paid for my own bike, tis mine not theirs! :biggrin:

10. Norm

Norm Guest

*draws breath*
    There were no new rules brought in last November. That is how the rules have always been written!

11. Theseus

Theseus .

Sorry Norm, did you just say that there have not been any changes to the rules last November. Just need to know.:thumbsup:

12. Norm

Norm Guest

Ah ha! There is at least one other lost soul in my parallel universe then. :smile:

13. Theseus

Theseus .

What I am curious about is what will happen later this year when my 3 year (yup, we have to wait 3 years) arrangement ends. At the end of this period I will have sacrificed salary (before tax) to just below the value of the letter of collection I used to get the bike plus a few extras. The value of the bike itself at the time I collected it may well have been less than the amount I have sacrificed.

Now if my provider say that they need a fair market value for the final purchase, I am, in all probability, going to decline the offer and tell them to collect their bike at their expense from my property. I may even suggest that I will start charging a fair market value for storage until they do collect it.

14. Maggot

Maggot Guest

3 years? I thought it had to be over a year. Oh, if only we had someone around who knew anything about this scheme:biggrin:

15. Theseus

Theseus .

It depend on the scheme and who the provider is and your HR department. For us it is 3 years, but reading on here it seems that 1 year is fairly common

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice