Cycle touring tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithLackie

I'm heading out to Italy in September, and am looking for a pair of reliable, not too slow, tyres. My route will be a mix of road, white gravel and 'unpaved', which I think will be more 'extreme' white gravel.

In the past few years I've tried:

Panaracer Gravelking - beautiful but I get loads of punctures, tubed or tubeless.
Schwalbe Marathon Surpreme - great tyres but again had a few punctures.
Continental GP 5000 - fast but they got cut up in around 6 months of Devon lanes.

I don't fancy sitting at the side of the road fixing punctures in 28C heat so am considering just going for Schwalbe Marathon Tours.

What are people using for a semi loaded tour (will have around 7kg on a saddlebag/tailfin).

Thanks!

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Gatorskins?

iandg

Legendary Member
When I rode L'Eroica I used a 32C Vittoria Cross tyre similar to the Terreno Dry. Coped well with the "white roads"

6230545909_340c43db04_c.jpg

I have used plain Marathon 32 for lots of touring on road and tracks. Very reliable probably a little slower than some of the choices, but a better balance of attributes than heavier Marathon Plus

8mph

Veteran
Continental Travel Contact, I have them on 3 bikes and have had just one puncture since 2019, they're comfortable and they roll better on tarmac than Marathons IMO. The 37mm version have enough traction for most hardpack and gravel, the 42mm version are quite a plush ride on gravel, if I remember correctly, weights for the two sizes are around 580g and 700g.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
I'm heading out to Italy in September, and am looking for a pair of reliable, not too slow, tyres. My route will be a mix of road, white gravel and 'unpaved', which I think will be more 'extreme' white gravel.

In the past few years I've tried:

Panaracer Gravelking - beautiful but I get loads of punctures, tubed or tubeless.
Schwalbe Marathon Surpreme - great tyres but again had a few punctures.
Continental GP 5000 - fast but they got cut up in around 6 months of Devon lanes.

I don't fancy sitting at the side of the road fixing punctures in 28C heat so am considering just going for Schwalbe Marathon Tours.

What are people using for a semi loaded tour (will have around 7kg on a saddlebag/tailfin).

Thanks!

Which version of the gravelking did you use? They now have a "plus" version of all tyres with much better puncture protection, which might be worth looking at.

Top Bottom