Cycle Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Having been unable to cycle since October due to illness which is still ongoing, I am considering purchasing a turbo trainer to try and build up my fitness and strengthen my leg muscles rather than fork out for an exercise bike.

Other than the trainer itself what else do I need equipment wise?

Also, anyone used/own this particular trainer:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...9238|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:12941195524#tab8

(ignoring the fact that it is from Halfrauds)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good luck with getting over the illness, yg!

You'll definitely need a fan, the bigger and more powerful, the better! There is no natural airflow over you to keep you cool and even with the fan you will sweat a lot.

Put a towel over your bike to catch the sweat or you will rot it. I was telling somebody on my forum ride at the weekend, that I rotted my first turbo trainer by not wiping the sweat off it properly. I wiped down the visible parts but didn't realise that the sweat was running round and dripping off the bottom of it. 6 months of salty sweat was enough to rust through quite a thick piece of metal!

For me, music was also a must. I stationed a pile of CDs and a chunky ghetto blaster next to my TT and pedalled away to some stirring tunes.

I had a computer on my TT which I used to time my efforts.

Plenty of water!

All the above, but I never bothered with a fan... I'm told it's a good idea, but it never occurred to me and I'm no longer a Turbo type.

Lots of water. LOTS.

A towel for self, bike and other things you'll drip on.

MP3 or similar.

A scedule to work to. Just plugging away becomes dull in about seven seconds.

If it's a noiy Turbo (mine is) you need a family with a sense of humour or a capacious outhouse.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All the above, but I never bothered with a fan... I'm told it's a good idea, but it never occurred to me and I'm no longer a Turbo type.
Obviously it depends on how much effort you are putting in and how big you are. I was 50 pounds overweight and putting in maximum effort (I was unable to walk properly afterwards so going upstairs involved involved crawling on hands and knees). In the middle of winter in an unheated room at close to 0°C, I ended up stripped to the waist and absolutely dripping sweat even with a fan on me from 3 feet away! I'd drink at least a litre of water in an hour (often more) and I'd still get off the TT a couple of kgs down, so I was sweating out at least a litre every 20 minutes.

If it's a noisy Turbo (mine is) you need a family with a sense of humour or a capacious outhouse.
TTs with fan resistance units are incredibly noisy - I gave my first one away after a few months for that very reason. I replaced it with one using a magnetic brake like the one that yg is thinking of buying and that was a lot quieter.

D

Deleted member 1258

Having been unable to cycle since October due to illness which is still ongoing, I am considering purchasing a turbo trainer to try and build up my fitness and strengthen my leg muscles rather than fork out for an exercise bike.

Other than the trainer itself what else do I need equipment wise?

Also, anyone used/own this particular trainer:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_223837_langId_-1_categoryId_229901?cm_mmc=GooglePPC:tired:CA - Cycle Accessories - Generic:tired:Cycle Trainers Exact:tired:turbo trainer&source=ppc&_$ja=kw:turbo trainer|cgn:Cycle Trainers Exact|cgid:2567992444|tsid:35522|cn:CA - Cycle Accessories - Generic|cid:37388794|lid:336539238|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:12941195524#tab8

(ignoring the fact that it is from Halfrauds)

Before you trot down Halfords have a look on here
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/s...equipment/type/any/module/shopcategory/page/1

screenman

Legendary Member
have a look on Ebay, there are often a lot of used one's on there.

I have the Cateye CX1000 which has lasted 17 years so far and done a lot of work. One thing I would add is that many turbo's ride choppy, often down to a slightly egg shaped rear wheel, you would not notice this on the road but on the turbo you do, for that matter try and go for a turbo that has a sprung loaded roller for a much smoother ride.

doug

Veteran
Do I need trainer specific tires?

No, but the trainer specific tyres are quieter and last longer on the turbo. I use my normal Conti GP4000s slick tyres and it is fine (though anything with tread will make a lot of noise).

The turbo is boring so have a structured plan and some distraction to hand (I use Spinerval or Sufferfest DVDs).

D

Deleted member 1258

No, but the trainer specific tyres are quieter and last longer on the turbo. I use my normal Conti GP4000s slick tyres and it is fine (though anything with tread will make a lot of noise).

The turbo is boring so have a structured plan and some distraction to hand (I use Spinerval or Sufferfest DVDs).

I listen to music whilst on the turbo, Black Sabbeth, Judas Priest, Deep purple or anything thats lively.

Enigma2008

Über Member
All the above but do have a specific and varied programme for each session or you will hate the turbo very quickly. The OP indicates that general fitness is the first aim, given this objective it is important to ride at a steady pace and avoid any high intensity work. By doing so you will be able to train more frequently and avoid getting fatigued. There are plenty of structured programmes available to play on your PC/laptop here http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have the kinetic rock n roll turbo trainer and think it is brilliant - but only as a last resort . if given the choice between a hour on trainer or half hour on road , i would take the road every time . if i was you , rather than buy trainer , fan and all the gadgets to try and keep you amused , if your well enough for trainer then i think you should be well enough for a short ride outside that will cost nothing - but i only say that not knowing your condition - if its agrophobia then maybe trainer is perfect :smile:

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Got my trainer yesterday morning, I have set it up as per the instructions and a little extra support from a youtube video but there is a 2 inch space between the rear wheel and the floor, it still works ok but should there be such a large gap?

Managed about 10 minutes before my legs felt like jelly though.

Top Bottom