Cyclechat buff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1710952, member: 45"]
Personally, I think polar buffs are too warm for cycling.[/quote]

Agreed.....A normal Buff is fine for all weathers.

Ordered mine ^_^ Been using an old Cycle Active freebie for a few years and it's definitely past it's best.

Norm

Ordered mine ^_^ Been using an old Cycle Active freebie for a few years and it's definitely past it's best.
This is one of the reasons that I prefer a Buff to a copycat. I've done way over 15k miles on the motorbike with my Buff over the past 6 or 7 years and it's as good, possibly a little softer, than when I bought it. Every time I ride, bike or motorbike, I wear a Buff.

If it's cold, it stops any draughts and I pull it up over my mouth, nose and ears to keep them warmer. If it's warm, it stops flies and stuff going down your neck and I'll probably still have it over my mouth to stop stuff going in. If it's hot, I have found nothing I can use on a bike that is as cooling as a Buff which has been run under a cold tap for 10 seconds. It seems to stay cool for hours.

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
This is one of the reasons that I prefer a Buff to a copycat. I've done way over 15k miles on the motorbike with my Buff over the past 6 or 7 years and it's as good, possibly a little softer, than when I bought it. Every time I ride, bike or motorbike, I wear a Buff.

If it's cold, it stops any draughts and I pull it up over my mouth, nose and ears to keep them warmer. If it's warm, it stops flies and stuff going down your neck and I'll probably still have it over my mouth to stop stuff going in. If it's hot, I have found nothing I can use on a bike that is as cooling as a Buff which has been run under a cold tap for 10 seconds. It seems to stay cool for hours.
When I was in South Dakota a few years back ( It's long story) I bought a neck cooler that keeps wet/cool at least all day , it was pennies in Walmart and I wish I had bought more of them. I've seen some Aussi site selling them but they were expensive.

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1710952, member: 45"]One or two people had a polar buff the first time we ordered -this will be the third order.

To be honest it's fiddly enough trying to gauge the price right to advertise without knowing how many will order, and bearing in mind that unit costs are based on order numbers, exchange rates, postage and tax. That's enough of a job, and adding in different types of buff makes things even more complicated.

[/quote]
Fair enough!

Norm

When I was in South Dakota a few years back ( It's long story) I bought a neck cooler that keeps wet/cool at least all day , it was pennies in Walmart and I wish I had bought more of them. I've seen some Aussi site selling them but they were expensive.
There's another use for your Buff then. ^_^:thumbsup:

Norm

There must be at least 1/2 dozen genuine, clone, polar, combi, knocking around here...
Yeah, I think I've got the same sort of number, including a limited edition (no, really! :laugh: ) which I got from a friend who works for Ordnance Survey. That's one of the reasons that this CC one has the reflective strip, to add something (which might help get them past Mrs Norm :whistle: )

Anyway, if you've already got a Polar Buff,can I push you for an opinion on...
I've never found a need for the Polar Buffs, though, and I was out earlier when the thermometer was below freezing. Have you actually tried one whilst cycling?
... whether they would be too warm for cycling, please. I reckon they would be, Ian and Mr P seem to agree, have you tried one?

Norm

Yeah, although I don't have a Polar one, I can't see that I'd need anything warmer for cycling.

On the motorbike, I've got a small fleece tube (it came free with Ride magazine about a million years ago) which I carry to use on the coldest days - but I've never actually used that.

If I don't need anything more than a standard Buff when sitting still at **ahem** 70mph **ahem** on the M25 when the air temp is below freezing, I'm not sure when I'd need one for cycling... which is kinda why I was wondering why LyB was asking about them.

I can imagine that one would be handy to wear as a hat, but I've already got a fleece hat.

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

Yeah, I think I've got the same sort of number, including a limited edition (no, really! :laugh: ) which I got from a friend who works for Ordnance Survey. That's one of the reasons that this CC one has the reflective strip, to add something (which might help get them past Mrs Norm :whistle: )

Anyway, if you've already got a Polar Buff,can I push you for an opinion on...

... whether they would be too warm for cycling, please. I reckon they would be, Ian and Mr P seem to agree, have you tried one?
The Polar buff I have is a clone from Go Outdoors, I use it mainly as a skull cap, with the fleece on the outside and the wicking fabric on the inside. It works well as that. I have also used it as a snood ( in the right sense of the word , before football bastardised it) when waiting during the commute fleece over head , lighter fabric around neck, it also makes a very good bandane because of the extra lenght over the standard buff. Too warm? Not sure I don't use it in the same way as the normal ones .

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

Yeah, although I don't have a Polar one, I can't see that I'd need anything warmer for cycling.

On the motorbike, I've got a small fleece tube (it came free with Ride magazine about a million years ago) which I carry to use on the coldest days - but I've never actually used that.

If I don't need anything more than a standard Buff when sitting still at **ahem** 70mph **ahem** on the M25 when the air temp is below freezing, I'm not sure when I'd need one for cycling... which is kinda why I was wondering why LyB was asking about them.

I can imagine that one would be handy to wear as a hat, but I've already got a fleece hat.
The fleece tube is a "combi Buff" known in my house as a "neck blanky", the Polar Buffs are fleece plus normal Buff

Seigi

I wasn't trying to seem ungrateful, sorry if it came across that way. It's just that I specifically put off buying a buff so that I may purchase a cyclechat one - thanks to all who have participated in organising it this year though, I guess I selfishly missed out that part in my previous post.

Top Bottom