CycleChat End-to-End Relay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The possibilities are endless.. it doesnt have to be a tandem or solo attempt. It can a world record attempt at relaying a item of clothing - CC jersey - from 1 end of the country to the other in the fastest time by bike.

515mm

I'm in! PM me anyone who fancies organising this. I live in South Wales so could do some south western stages without too much fuss. Also, I have a sister in Stoke and could do midlands ish stages too. I wonder if we could set a record?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am toying with the idea of organising some sort of charity event next year.... this sounds awesome plus a record attempt would be great... My boss is away this week so I am in charge of the office :smile::biggrin: ;):evil::sad: (evil laughing ensues) and would happily make contact with norris mcwerter (or his replacement if he died) and see if there is such a record.

"The fastest lejog/jogle relay with a team of 50"... I am presuming there will be more than 50 of us cc'ers that would want to get involved... maybe we could have a 2 team race? black jersey v's blue jersey relay?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Wigsie said:
I am toying with the idea of organising some sort of charity event next year.... this sounds awesome plus a record attempt would be great... My boss is away this week so I am in charge of the office :smile::biggrin: ;):evil::sad: (evil laughing ensues) and would happily make contact with norris mcwerter (or his replacement if he died) and see if there is such a record.

"The fastest lejog/jogle relay with a team of 50"... I am presuming there will be more than 50 of us cc'ers that would want to get involved... maybe we could have a 2 team race? black jersey v's blue jersey relay?

Over to you, bud... I am good at ideas

totally crap at organisation

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am Spartacus said:
Over to you, bud... I am good at ideas

totally crap at organisation

;):laugh::sad: organisation is not alwys a strong point of mine either! but we will see I guess. will try and get some info on records etc shortly and will post an update.

peanut

what about doing a there and back ?;)
that way each member does a double and you might get two records for the price of one :sad:

Count me in for a stint in the south west anywhere between Wellington and Burnham on sea.

best probably to use the bikehike map to plot the route . That way you not only break it up into manageable distances you also get a profile and rise of all the hills too

850 ish miles devided by 50 riders is 17 ish miles each .if everyone managed an average of an hour or less we could do it in around 48-50 hours

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Right, have registerd with GWR and have submitted the concept to them for June/July next year either a single or double end to end challenge.

They will assess the application and compile some guidelines for the record be set/broken. With the Guidelines we will also receive three 'Schedules' which relate to the supporting evidence and materials we have to submit with the claim before it is approved and CC can become world record holders.

Should I wait before starting a thread on this? can take up to 4 weeks for guidlines etc pack to come through.

peanut

excellent things are in motion .
Imagine, if we do it ,50 CC members will be able to say to their Grandchildren ' I broke the LE to JG record ' yeehaw:biggrin:

Actually thinking about it we could potentially collect 3x records. First to LE-JG 50 rider relay ,then beat that record on the return leg and then record for both ways .

Should we start a new dedicated thread and ask Shaun if we could have it a sticky ?

simon_brooke

OK, I'm on for any leg in Scotland. We aren't going to get enough 'local' people north of Inverness, so some people are going to have to go up from further south.

Can I suggest those who have time trial bikes use those, for extra speed?

Can I suggest that in addition to those cycling, we need

(1) A static secretariat, responsible for making sure by telephone that the next few riders are awake, on station, and able to ride;
(2) A website updated in real time (e.g. by GeoTwitter) showing where the baton is currently;
(3) An on the road support crew with spare wheels, etc - not necessarily the same crew for the whole distance;
(4) About one 'reserve' rider for every ten stages, able to take over if a designated rider is unable to ride for any reason.

I've organised long distance bicycle relay events in the past; it's amazing how much time gets wasted at hand-overs, particularly when people aren't ready - and we may find we go a lot faster than we expect.

Top Bottom