CycleChat investigates fashion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fashion, what is it good for?
Okay, so it keeps workers in jobs and it's a multi million pound industry but you can't help thinking it makes many look ridiculous.
Lewis Hamilton is well known for being a dedicated follower of fashion but I think he may have gone a bit too far in wearing a tea cosy.

IMG_20220829_113903.jpg

Then there's the chavs who like dress in one particular style. To display their spending power?

IMG_20220829_114042.jpg

Of course we cyclists aren't immune. When a pair of cotton shorts from the charity shop would do we buy expensive Humvees. And when an old tee shirt would suffice we buy Rapha.
So is it a complete con?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lewis Hamilton apparently is fronting and arts and crafts version of slipknot and this is his latest persona

LH has been doing this for years. His one time GF Nicole knew fashion and I thought he might have got pointers from her. He dons expensive fashion house outfits that are loud with lots of bling.

I got the impression that he is a aloof and not have the right friends to tell him.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Neither of us at all interested here.

Both have few decent bits for special occasions.

Generally we live in 'outdoorsy' stuff - good quality, multi-purpose and lasts pretty much forever.

An advantage of rural village life where no one gives a fig about fashion.

Our kids (London) spend obscene amounts of money on the latest trends.

Ditto the offspring of many of our friends and associates - often the ones who lecture us oldies about ruining their planet yet swap iPhones & clothes to keep up with the latest and greatest, run ICE cars and seemingly are able to whizz off to far flung places on holiday despite whinging about the price of their flats.

Bit OT last para' but the hypocrisy gets on my ***s.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
LH has been doing this for years. His one time GF Nicole knew fashion and I thought he might have got pointers from her. He dons expensive fashion house outfits that are loud with lots of bling.

I got the impression that he is a aloof and not have the right friends to tell him.

Great driver, total 'look at me' attention seeking dick on the fashion front.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So is it a complete con?
I wouldn't say it's a con as that's how a free market and Capitalism work in making things attractive to you, thus making you buy the items. It's a choice, not compulsory, though some would say if you can't resist, it is in a way compulsory,compulsive. Some who disagree with both concepts would therefore say it is a 'con'. 🤔

I don't follow fashion now and even in the past rarely did so. I'm more of a shall we say 'alternative to fashion' type of dresser. Fashion is too uniformed, 'let's all look the same', for me. I take ideas from such chaps as Preston Schlueter on The Gentleman's Gazette, though being slightly narcissistic (self diagnosed I hasten to add:whistle:) I like to think he takes inspiration from me, as well as me from him.🧐

Last edited:
I was invited to a fancy dress party once and was told off when I said I was going to come as an old fat bald teacher

Apparently that was not acceptable so I went as an old fat bald bloke instead - just wore jeans and a decent t-shirt instead of a shirt an tie

as far as fashion is concerned - I wear comfy jeans, t-shirtand trainers until they wear out
If we are going out then I swap the jeans for trousers and t-shirt for a shirt

that is as far as I go with fashion

(Note - when I say 'worn out' I mean my wife tell me that the shirt has holes in it - which is apparently not acceptable)

Top Bottom