CycleChat investigates fashion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Fashion, what is it good for?
Okay, so it keeps workers in jobs and it's a multi million pound industry but you can't help thinking it makes many look ridiculous.
Lewis Hamilton is well known for being a dedicated follower of fashion but I think he may have gone a bit too far in wearing a tea cosy.

View attachment 659142

Then there's the chavs who like dress in one particular style. To display their spending power?

View attachment 659141

Of course we cyclists aren't immune. When a pair of cotton shorts from the charity shop would do we buy expensive Humvees. And when an old tee shirt would suffice we buy Rapha.
So is it a complete con?

Yes, it is a con - a way of making the shallow / gullible / pliable pay for these shortcomings - both financially and with the dignity; more often than not.

It's a cancer that blights most walks of life; I try to avoid it but occasionally drop the ball (the fact that I own a CFRP road bike probably being one example).

I'd counter your assertions about cycle wear with the very valid role of technical fabrics which with breathe a lot better than cotton ;)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not do away with clothes.
Think of the money you'd save. Nothing spent on buying them, nowt spent cleaning them and no waste.
A win, win win situation.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cotton fabric is woven, so it has small holes between the threads, can’t get much more “breathable“ than that.

That's interesting as I didn't think it was favoured for technical gear for this reason; and I certainly find I end up a lot more sweaty if I go out in a cotton T-shirt versus a synthetic / merino...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
LH has been doing this for years. His one time GF Nicole knew fashion and I thought he might have got pointers from her. He dons expensive fashion house outfits that are loud with lots of bling.

I got the impression that he is a aloof and not have the right friends to tell him.

Are we awaiting him parading buck naked in a suit made of threads that are so fine that they are invisible to peasants?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cotton fabric is woven, so it has small holes between the threads, can’t get much more “breathable“ than that.

I have loads of tech T's - mainly hiking and some cycling. All work really well on warm days at wicking sweat away and keeping me cool.

I have some slobbing around the house cotton T's that if I wear to cut the grass, or have a quick walk around the village, that leave me soaking wet in the same conditions.

Alex321

Veteran
I'd counter your assertions about cycle wear with the very valid role of technical fabrics which with breathe a lot better than cotton ;)
Not sure "breathe" is the right word there.

They certainly wick moisture away from the skin much better than cotton, making you much more comfortable. But I believe cotton fabrics are usually quite "breathable" according to the normal definition used in textiles.

And of course, if cycling for any significant time, having properly padded shorts adds significantly to comfort over the "pair of cotton shorts from the charity shop" that he suggested.

The technical clothing is definitely more comfortable for any but short casual rides.

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
default for me is shirts / t shirt and maybe trackie bottoms when it gets cooler but then im on the past giving a monkeys and i want to be comfy and for some reason kids keep growing and needing new clothes .Work clothes provided so my wardrobe is work clothes, cycle clothes, shorts, t shirts , trackies i have one suit and a couple of shirts and nowt inbetween

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I like to dress in my own particular style (clean, smart, casual) when going out, but most of the time I'm in outdoors-y stuff, coz that's how I spend most of my time. Just bought a new suit for a forthcoming wedding (not mine :okay:) as the one I last wore 4 years ago seems to have somehow shrunk in the meantime ... not sure how that happens :laugh:

Top Bottom