CycleChat Investigates - Pavement Parking

Pavement Parking - should it be banned?

• Yes. Car drivers have proven they can't be trusted to act sensibly, so just ban it.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Don't ban it, so long as dar drivers act sensibly.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Allow car drivers to park anywhere they want. Who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ban parking in public anywhere other than in a marked parking bay

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don't care

• I don't have a car/smartphone/tv/pavement outside my house

• Be a bit like Tokyo - can't prove you have off road parking, you can't own a car.

• I live on Sark

• Edmund King is a twit

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I'm dying of coronavirus so really couldn't care less right now.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
every time someone on the local FB group complains about pavement parking, the motons always claim that they have no choice, and not parking on the pavement would mean a fire engine can't get through, so in a way, it's their civic duty to park on the pavements :wacko:. Then a load of us lefty types tell 'em to park elsewhere and spend a few minutes walking between their vehicle and home, which is usually responded with :cursing: ...and the group admins just delete the entire post.

What needs to be done in the case of roads not being wide enough for two parked cars and a fire engine/bin wagon, is double yellow lines being painted down one side. That'll force the motons to park elsewhere... clogging up more residential roads on the outskirts of town, which will result in more residents only parking zones, more double yellows, forcing them to look elsewhere. What it won't do is make them give up the car.
Dream on! In Blackburn people park on double yellows AND on the pavement. What do the Police do about it? Naff all.

PK99

Legendary Member
I agree it's a pain, but there are many places which have no parking, and parking fully on the road can stop larger vehicles getting through.

I don't have an answer. My Brother and sister's housing has very little parking - it's a nightmare where they live. I don't see too many issues so long as sufficient room is left for people/prams/scooters to pass. Blocking pavements, then throw the book at them.

The London approach in that situation is shown here:

PK99

Legendary Member
And whoever parked the car on the left obviously thought …. bolox to parking within the dotted lines , I will take even more of the pavement...
self righteous tool.

OFFS, Don't be so fecking precious!

The system works.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is, for me, a difference in parking outside your house on the pavement and parking close to shops/cash machines/pub. The latter usually in town centres, or where foot traffic is high, usually is a case of the driver "thumbing their nose at the system" because they can't be bothered with walking.

I don't drive, but the latter group seem to be on the increase. They're the one's that need targeting.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I agree it's a pain, but there are many places which have no parking, and parking fully on the road can stop larger vehicles getting through.

I don't have an answer. My Brother and sister's housing has very little parking - it's a nightmare where they live. I don't see too many issues so long as sufficient room is left for people/prams/scooters to pass. Blocking pavements, then throw the book at them.

If the streets too narrow then only allow parking on one side so emergency services can still gain access.

There is no maximum distance from the home we are required to park.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Some pavements are more than wide enough to allow parking in full or half. Saw an example in Erith, where lines had been painted, showing how far a car is allowed to park on the pavement. This could be the model to adopt for all pavements where there is room enough and should have strict penalties if a car creeps onto the restricted part of the pavement.
They paint the guide lines on the road near me
Screenshot_2020-03-13 Google Maps.png

(yes, that is the cycle lane!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well a consensus is emerging. Pavement parkers should be horse whipped and made to look at nudey pics of Nigel Farage...but there is still time for a revolt.

Sharky

Guru
Well a consensus is emerging. Pavement parkers should be horse whipped and made to look at nudey pics of Nigel Farage...but there is still time for a revolt.
But where do we park, when we all arrive at a sleepy Kentish village at 6am on a Sunday morning for the Wobbly Wheelers 25, only to find that the Village Hall car park is completely full and we are forced to park on the narrow surrounding roads.

Top Bottom