CycleChat Investigates - Self Service Tills

What do you think of self service checkouts?

• I love them. They speed me swifty onwards with my purchases.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I can't stand them. They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Meh. Don't care so long as I get my shopping.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I don't have a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a shoplifter.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can somebody tell me which side the "Bagging Area" actually is????

mustang1

Legendary Member
I use them the vast majority of the time but I see a human is available, then I go to the human instead because I like a bit of interaction, even a simple hello.

And no, I wouldn't like an AI automated till that talks to me.
Till: hello
Me: hi, how are you, what have you been doing lately?
Till: I am fine, I've just been hanging around here and am always busy.

Everyone uses them because they don't like waiting around. It's a fast life unfortunately. And yes, I also dislike that jobs are taken away but the supermarkets will say that it keeps grocery prices down. Uhm, really? That doesn't seem to be the case really does it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Sitrep - were nearing the end and the sane folk are in the lead, with the self service till lovers right up their behind. It's going to be close.

I use them the vast majority of the time but I see a human is available, then I go to the human instead because I like a bit of interaction, even a simple hello.

And no, I wouldn't like an AI automated till that talks to me.
Till: hello
Me: hi, how are you, what have you been doing lately?
Till: I am fine, I've just been hanging around here and am always busy.
:biggrin:

Why don't the customers engage in human interaction with each-other while they are using the tills? Surely this is shared responsibility within society - we can't put all the pressure on the till droids/operatives!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That should be resolvable. Sainsbury's have weighing scales that auto detect what fruit/veg it is. Not really tested them but they always know what bananas are.

In Morrison's I buy eggs off the stand which you have to put in half dozen boxes. I scanned the box, and it asked for a quanitity so I enetered 1 (1 box). It wasn't until I got home that I realised it had charged me for 1 egg. So I stole 5 eggs

Mike_P

Guru
Staff are hawk like in Aldi IME where you have to put in the quantity of say bananas, why on earth can they not be weighed like everywhere else.

potsy

Rambler
I actually stopped going in Aldi after I once unloaded all my shopping onto the conveyor only to be told the till wasn't being opened (even though there was a call out for someone to open it)
I then left the shopping there and walked to Sainsbury's!

Having heard they had installed some of these self checkouts I went for a look, have used them a couple of times now for a small basket shop, wouldn't want to use them for a decent trolley shop though.

Scan as you shop is the only way to go ^_^

Top Bottom