CycleChat Investigates - Self Service Tills

What do you think of self service checkouts?

• I love them. They speed me swifty onwards with my purchases.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I can't stand them. They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Meh. Don't care so long as I get my shopping.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I don't have a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a shoplifter.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I'd been allowed to taser people when I worked at Bury's, you wouldn't have been able to move for bodies convulsing in the aisles.

ETA: I worked at Waitrose for a bit once and it was even worse. The number of fancy pants sounding individuals who came in asking for stuff they'd probably read about in Food Monthly but didn't know how to pronounce, much less cook, was glorious. My favourites were quinoa and puy lentils, or anything Spanish with a "z" in it.

My friend's Mum used to own a jewellery shop in a posh part of the Wirral (West Kirby for those that know the area)

Hence she knew a lot of the local shopkeepers

There were quite a few locals who expected to be able to take things and pay later because they were CLEARLY able to pay and could be trusted
This especially applied to shops like the butcher and greengrocer

They were also the ones most likely to "forget" to pay and to be found to have "accidentally" put some extra things into their shopping bag instead of the basket

She commented that the poorer looking people were more likely to be trustworthy if they wanted to take a piece of jewellery to the door to see it in daylight

or as my Mum put it "fur coat and no knickers"
(I originally thought that was some reference to sexual morals - but it just meant all show (the fur coat) and nothing else - still prefer my original thoughts!!!! - which was more accurate I still question)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That should be resolvable. Sainsbury's have weighing scales that auto detect what fruit/veg it is. Not really tested them but they always know what bananas are.

They don't know it's a banana. They only know the weight range of a single loose banana. If you find an unusually large or small banana it'll flag it.

presta

Guru
You know all you're achieving with that is annoying other customers and leaving some underpaid employee with the headache of your tantrum, and those customers, right?

There was a till in Tesco that was what you might call 'slow':

Put an onion on the scale & press 'o'.
Nothing happens
Wait
Press o again
Nothing happens
Press again
Wait
"ooo, sorry, we haven't got any of those"
Press delete
Nothing happens
Wait
Wait some more
Press delete again, and just as your finger touches the screen, the page changes, and you end up with cream cakes.
Press delete
Nothing happens
Wait
Wait a lot more
Screen saver blanks screen
Wait
Wait....
"Well, do you want to continue with transaction or not?"

It wasn't just the once, it had been like it for weeks, and I'd spoken to staff about it before: "Uh yeah, that one is a bit dodgy"

After weeks of no repair I walked out, and told them to get the checkout fixed as I went past. Then it got fixed.

I wonder how many other people have been patient enough with a checkout to find out how long it takes the screen saver to come on.

Mike_P

Guru
Best ones that I have come across were the first lot the local Asda had, you could empty a pocket of change into it and it would count the coins promptly. They then replaced them with ones that took each coin in turn very slowly. Sure it was deliberate to make you use a card.

Mike_P

Guru
Just had a problem with a M&S one. It scanned a gift card on my mobile okay but there was still 4.45 to pay tried scanning another but the display greyed out. An assistant tried and at the third attempt it worked.

presta

Guru
Works fine on a bunch of 3 or 4 bananas
If a scale measures 500g it doesn't know whether that's four 125g, or five 100g bananas, or three 166g apples. If you put a pineapple on and tell it it's a kiwi fruit it will know that even the largest kiwi doesn't weigh 1100g, but if you put eleven kiwi on it won't know it's not a pineapple.

Mike_P

Guru
If a scale measures 500g it doesn't know whether that's four 125g, or five 100g bananas, or three 166g apples. If you put a pineapple on and tell it it's a kiwi fruit it will know that even the largest kiwi doesn't weigh 1100g, but if you put eleven kiwi on it won't know it's not a pineapple.

Pretty sure the ones I am talking about are a bit more than just the weight as there is a sensor so it's taking an image of the fruit/veg

Top Bottom