• I don't have a tv/smartphone/internet

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No, I'm holding out for some as yet unforseen new technology

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • No, I own Ineos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Sustainable decent public transport and cycles of all descriptions.

Cerdic

My job involves driving a large variety of new cars and vans about, so I've got a bit of first hand experience!

As an old petrolhead, I find modern cars pretty dull to drive. Even the posh ones! So the arguements about electric cars being dull are irrelevant in my opinion.

Electric cars do have their plus points. Acceleration is fast and smooth. Because there is no gearbox there is no slight interruption of power like you get in an auto petrol or diesel. So they are easy to drive. Being simpler mechanically makes servicing simpler as well.

The big two negatives of electric are still range and cost.

For day to day work range is not really a problem for most people. It is when you want to jump in your car and drive several hundred miles. It can be done but you need to put some thought and planning into it.

The cost of electric cars is still too high compared with internal combustion, even factoring in the amount you save in fuel. This is the bit that needs to change for sales to really take off.

If you have a driveway so you can charge overnight and don't do a lot of long distance driving, electric will soon be the way to go.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I only drive 30 miles a month max as I bike most everywhere- so petrol for me..

The resources needed to build an electric car would vastly outweigh any savings - or so my Greta Dakimakura tells me.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm considering commuting to work on my Space Hopper.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I don't think driving personal transport is "green" no matter what powers it. Sure, there is a lesser evil to a degree with electric but frankly driving cars are the single most uneconomical way to travel humans have ever invented... They sure are convenient though given the system of living we have created...

Annoying can't find two articles on electric cars which show they create more greenhouse gases than both diesel and petrol.
Obviously its about the creation of the batteries not the use of electric cars themselves. The most important thing to note is the so called environmentalists emphasis on the cost benefits of using a product while entirely ignoring capital costs (to the environment) of creating it. Stupidly? Or just a smug "look i am doing my bit for the environment " while knowingly doing nothing of the sort. I choose to assume they are not stupid!
An aside
https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...attery-production-is-surging-but-at-what-cost

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

"Although electric vehicles basically are emission free, at least when they are powered by electricity from
renewable sources, they still cause a climate impact which derives from the manufacturing of the car and not
least the battery. Mining and refining of battery materials, and manufacturing of cells, modules and pack"
requires significant amounts of energy which could generate GHG emissions so high that the marginal
climate benefit by using electric vehicles instead of ICE vehicles is reduced. This would mean emissions are
only moved from one pipe to another which most probably would require new regulations"

Last edited:
Top Bottom