• I don't have a tv/smartphone/internet

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No, I'm holding out for some as yet unforseen new technology

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • No, I own Ineos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Not Dr Beeching?
Other countries mothballed closed railways rather than ripping them up immediately; if that had happened the need to build large parts of HS2 would not have existed as a route linked London with Sheffield via Brackley, Rugby, Leicester and Nottingham, but was closed in the mid 60s and subsequently urban parts in particular redeveloped.

byegad

Legendary Member
No option to vote 'Have an Hybrid'.
We're on our second and they're getting better and better.
I think we may well end up with an electric, maybe not the next car, but the one after??

IMG_20210115_150028_3.jpg

Who needs a car? 50 kilos (electric bike) Did 10 deliverys. Have 25 kilos for myself. Free to boot. No ice tyres on so no more deliverys (snowed overnight) Back hurts a bit. Collected wood afterwards.
Cars are overrated.
3rd pick up dog bored with route. Festering on the verge.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Unfortunately with Covid, car sharing is currently a thing of the past and mass public transport doesn't appear to be very popular either. The future may well be in squillions more little cars rather than enough buses, trams and trains to get us to and from our place of work :sad:.

I've stopped urging people to cycle more because i want the congestion on the roads where i can cycle past it, not on the cycle paths where I'll be stuck in it... selfish, I know.

What was that revolutionary engine I heard about on the radio the other day? Liquid air or something. No combustion so no carbon emissions, and its by-product is extreme cold making it perfect for refrigeration lorries.... that could be 'a' future of transport, but maybe not for the masses. EDIT... here's the R4 show about it

Unfortunately with Covid, car sharing is currently a thing of the past and mass public transport doesn't appear to be very popular either. The future may well be in squillions more little cars rather than enough buses, trams and trains to get us to and from our place of work :sad:.

I've stopped urging people to cycle more because i want the congestion on the roads where i can cycle past it, not on the cycle paths where I'll be stuck in it... selfish, I know.

What was that revolutionary engine I heard about on the radio the other day? Liquid air or something. No combustion so no carbon emissions, and its by-product is extreme cold making it perfect for refrigeration lorries.... that could be 'a' future of transport, but maybe not for the masses.
Car companies expect and are preparing for a very large reduction in cars. They expect/think people will share cars when they become automated.

Baldy

Über Member
[QUOTE="MontyVeda, post: 6275402, member: ]

What was that revolutionary engine I heard about on the radio the other day? Liquid air or something. No combustion so no carbon emissions, and its by-product is extreme cold making it perfect for refrigeration lorries.... that could be 'a' future of transport, but maybe not for the masses. EDIT... here's the R4 show about it
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a perpetual motion machine.

Other countries mothballed closed railways rather than ripping them up immediately; if that had happened the need to build large parts of HS2 would not have existed as a route linked London with Sheffield via Brackley, Rugby, Leicester and Nottingham, but was closed in the mid 60s and subsequently urban parts in particular redeveloped.
To get the railway act through Parliament they had to agree that landowners would get there land back if the railways failed. Most people thought they would.

This is very true.
I lived for a while near the old midland line that went into nottingham.
The old impressive nottingham railway station was flattened to become a shopping centre, now doubtless struggling.
This explained to me a puzzle that nagged at the back of my mind for a while. Why did nottingham, a great city, have such a tiddly looking railway station?
At the very least it should have been made illegal to build on the rail wayleaves. There was a line that used to run from peckham in south london up to crystal palace high level station. Would have made a great tram line, particularly if the planned tram from central london to peckham, axed by boris i think, had come to pass. But so much of the trackbed was built upon it's now not going to happen.
As for the thatcher point upthread, not irrelevant.
I well remember hearing one of her darlings on the radio saying that railways had had it, that if it wasn't for the historical accident of steam engines coming before the internal combustion engine, they would never have happened or been needed.
His madness didn't stop there either.
I also well remember him suggesting that many of the railways that had survived until his fragrant leader's coming would make great roads with a bit of swift tarmacking. Twat.
I also suspect that apart from anything else he'd never looked at the width of the average motorway compared to your average railway line.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is very true.
I lived for a while near the old midland line that went into nottingham.
The old impressive nottingham railway station was flattened to become a shopping centre, now doubtless struggling.
This explained to me a puzzle that nagged at the back of my mind for a while. Why did nottingham, a great city, have such a tiddly looking railway station?

You mean the Nottingham Victoria station? The Victoria centre was built on it and is still going.

My understanding was that Nottingham's politicians rejected railways in the early 1830's and didn't rate them, so the main line went through Derby instead. But that may just be old story-telling from my great-grandparents, to my grandparents, to my parents and so on.

My undergraduate dissertation was on the proposed, now built, light-rapid-transit system for Nottingham and I spent the summer of 1990 trudging up and down proposed routes with a camera and maps.

Last edited:
  • Yes, my next car will be electric 20.0%
  • No, when my current car dies thats the end of my motoring days 16%
  • No, I'll be hanging on to dino fuel as long as possible 32.0%
  • Well I think at least 32% are telling the truth!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, for my own part i had been carless for a few months after selling the Smart, whereupon my Stepmum passed away leaving my Dad with a surplus XC90 that then came my way. I keep it going pretty much solely for SAR training and callouts, and when it eventually goes to the big scrapyard in the sky I won't be replacing it. I neither really need nor want one, I don't get kicks from showing off to strangers how much money I'm wasting on motoring, and no desire for another when this one goes.

Top Bottom