• Metcheck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XC weather

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Ventusky...not an app but we can overlook that detail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Norwegians know a thing or two https://www.yr.no/

Yr.no strike a good balance between accuracy and interactive clarity.

Met Office are usually accurate for the UK, but their visual presentation and adverts spoil it.

BBC very well presented but tend to err on the pessimistic side. Often show rain when it turns out bone dry.

Agree that's a great weather website. I use it all the time. And they've heard of East Anglia, unlike the BBC or Met Office!

Another vote for yr.no

The BBC is generally poor and always ramps up the worst possible outcome - it was like that under the met office and is the same with the new people. A bit of breeze is escalated to a hurricane and a shower is foretold as a monsoon.

lane

Veteran
Try Ventusky ...... https://www.ventusky.com/
Great graphics and really reliable. I use the site when on holiday abroad. Wind direction and speed, temperature, precipitation, lightning warnings etc all work well a couple of days (even up to a week) ahead and with at-a-glance clarity. Beats the BBC's pathetic "50% chance of rain" rubbish hands down. (Drizzle or cats & dogs, BBC?)

Just had a look at that and really like it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had a fiddle with it and downloaded it (my apologies, it is indeed also available as an app).

A bit complex for at-a-glance do-I-need-a-brolly use, but I can see that being useful for planning rides and even SAR work.

Skanker

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but no one has mentioned the app I use and it will save you all from an unexpected soaking this winter.
I use Dark Sky, the most accurate weather app for local reports I have found, it even tells me if it’s about to drizzle, and it’s never wrong.
I need accurate local reports for the boat so I have tried virtually every app available. It’s not free but well worth the £4 it costs.

lane

Veteran
Interesting. I first came across Dark Sky last week it has some tie in now with Komoot which I use for route planning. Had a look at some reviews and from what I can see it has poor accuracy apart from for very short term very local forecasts e.g. what is happening now or in a couple of hours which might have its uses.

On another point all the sources I liked at on Friday have Sat as the worst day and Sunday the best for where I live quite the reverse of what has happened bloody useless really.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When i worked in the Alps I began to realise that Chamonix Météo was actually weather for tourists because they would announce: "Demain, grand beau temps!" so all the tourists would set off for a walk but end up sitting in mountain hotels and refuges eating and drinking all day while it poured with rain. I began to smell a conspiracy with the chalet owners.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
WeatherPro is around eight quid a year. It's very accurate IMHO.
A Lite version is available for free, but less detailed.
A cousin of mine works for Meteo Group who provide the app. MG deliver forecasts to shipping, so they have a vested interest in being spot-on.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but no one has mentioned the app I use and it will save you all from an unexpected soaking this winter.
I use Dark Sky, the most accurate weather app for local reports I have found, it even tells me if it’s about to drizzle, and it’s never wrong.
I need accurate local reports for the boat so I have tried virtually every app available. It’s not free but well worth the £4 it costs.
I find darksky to be woefully inaccurate - I've seen it provide wildly differing forecasts even on the same page.

I've had it simultaneously tell me
- it is currently raining, continuing all afternoon
- light rain is going to start in 20 minutes, stopping 5 minutes later
- there's a 0% chance of rain in the next 5 hours
while looking out the window at hard rain bouncing off the ground.

Their "hyperlocal" prediction model is really bad. There used to be an animated view where you could see the swirling, chaotic, complex radar picture, but as soon as the animation moved to the future it changed to "static snapshot of current radar picture but smushed over a bit" making its "hyperlocal" prediction model worthless.

Top Bottom