CycleChat Investigates - War! What is it good for?

Which is the best war fillum?

• Where Eagles Dare

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Apocalypse Now

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Dambusters

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • The Longest Day

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • The Bridges at Toki Ri

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Cockleshell Heroes

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Battle of the Bulge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kelly's Heroes

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Operation Crossbow

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Das Boot
Cross Of Iron
Apocalypse Now

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, its official. The wise minds and deep thinkers of CycleChat have spoke, and Dambusters is officially the best war fillum ever.

Perhaps another poll, see if the edited or unedited versions are preferred...

I'm surprised how little love there is for the Cockleshell Heroes. True story, Trevor Howard, Anthony newly, brilliant performance from Jose Ferrer. And it's in colour!
your lucky lucky heatwave day drago - PBS America (freeview) is showing a doc on the mission today.
Edit, i may have seen it (pbs shows a lot of quality brit stuff in addition to good american stuff) - i seem to recall a sorry undercurrent of petty rivalry, posturing, miscommunication (some deliberate), maybe even a smattering of snobbery - kinda like the politics thread with added bullets. Can't help but wonder how much of this made it into the feature film.

Last edited:
not a fan of war films but Went The Day Well would get my vote. For those who haven't seen it... watch it :okay:
It's on Talking Pictures freeview next Saturday at 6pm.
Yes, watch it folks if you've never seen it.
I guess a few folk have dim memories of seeing at least bits of it on telly as kids.

Kajaki is considered the most accurate and realistic war movie of all time. Didn't do well in US and possibly UK due to the variety of accents.

It's on Talking Pictures freeview next Saturday at 6pm.
Yes, watch it folks if you've never seen it.
I guess a few folk have dim memories of seeing at least bits of it on telly as kids.
On again today same channel 8:10 - I rode to where it was filmed a few years ago, plan to again early next year.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I watched Enemy at the Gates last night. Good film. I remember in the early days of my internet access, having read about Vasily Zaitsev, I googled (or it may have been asked Jeeves) and being blown away that I quickly found a clip of him being interviewed years after the war and he was pointing out landmarks in the area he had been a sniper. He looked nothing like Jude Law though.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection. I read quite a few war memoirs and books about military machinery, but I can barely stand war films these days. I was always glad they never made many films about the Falklands War, which was bitter enough. I am surprised there was a market for war films in the 50s/60s/70s. I would have thought anyone who went through it would not want to be reminded of it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Funnily enough I noticed he was signed in yesterday, so still checking on us.

Is he now?

Oi @Drago!
1661276019627.png

Top Bottom