Cyclechat recommends... I need a doorbell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My neighbour handed me my parcel with the words, "have you asked Amazon to deliver it straight to us then?"

No is the answer but I'm failing to hear the knocker and the last two doorbells have all died. My faith in doorbells being diminished I have not yet dipped into the 'pick a doorbell' retail tombola. In fact I was thinking of going for a wired one but even a wired one I had stopped working. it's always the push that seems to go. The last one died of water ingress and any chance of rescuing it was lost when I hoofed it across the road in frustration and it was run over and then had to traipse miserably after it when my frustration subsided.

So, any recommendations from the cc massif? You can only recommend me one if it's been working more than 12 months!

subaqua

What’s the point
we have a byron wireless one. has two remote units and they flash lights and play tones that you can set. had it for about 5 years.

last one was a friedland which was great but i booted the remote unit on nights when the elections were on and yet another candidate woke me up.

Rig this up on your porch:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST0vIWYeSax5zAsc2pOVi11qN6MiqeFRgt7le2f5cyoGWJBQoA.jpg

Or, just get one of these: it's about time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz1nOgVp8GkIlccD9eoNuZZ6Fp0rfNlCkM2HlNvuqdtpJ31BpvfA.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Get a door knocker instead - no worries about wiring or the push not working

something big and heavy and you will hear it fine

very-big-antique-door-knocker-8257326.jpg
I do have quite a big knocker but it rather relies on someone putting some effort in and plainly, some don't. You'd think the damn dog would let me know but he's not attuned to it, even though he gets up when a doorbell on the telly goes off.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
IMG_0020.JPG
Ours has been working for the last 27 years. It's one of those electro-mechanical bells and it's powered by a tiny mains transformer that sits next to the consumer unit. It's got a good loud ring.

EDIT: They are called dome door bells. Here's one...
http://www.broughtons.com/store/product/124931/dome-door-bell-black/

BTW, there are loads of retro bells and push buttons on Ebay.

Last edited:
You could just import a cheap refugee as a doorman :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's wrong with you Man? Get a bloody servant and give him some white gloves. When he's not answering the door and taking visitors' hats and coats he can be polishing your bikes.

Top Bottom