1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CycleChat Safe Cycling video

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Jacomus-rides-Gen, 1 Nov 2007.

1. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Right ladies and gents, as suggested by Arch, here is a thread to start throwing ideas around for our own safety video.

2. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

Can I be the lycra lout (iv got a full TT bike with quad spoked wheels) where you say "Dont do this" and show me jumping red lights / shouting at drivers / assaulting taxi drivers? :blush:

3. Jacomus-rides-Gen

I could do a piece on negotiating RABs, I have a few very close to me, and also a nasty multilane one way system I can negotiate.

With an assault rifle on your back I hope!

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

there's a bit i could do about using the road instead of the cycle path, as you would have to share a busy pavement and endanger pedestrians while coming down a hill at up to 30mph.

5. I will do the 'cafe etiquette' demonstration - how to eat cake (all varieties), scones, baked spuds, toasted teacakes, toasted sandwiches, ploughmans, soup, waffles, crumpets, normal sandwiches, smoothies, tea, coffee without offending social mores; plus suggest responses to the following cafe etiquette dilemmas:
    How many free refills is too many?
    Should I demand HP sauce or is own brand or daddies acceptable?
    Do I refuse the complimentary home made fudge?
    Is it OK to leave the salad garnish?
    Can I ask for a cheese and jam sandwich without offending?

And many, many more...

6. Canrider

Canrider Guru

I volunteer to do the 'how to kibitz about bikes even though you haven't owned one for a year' segment.

Anyone want to volunteer for the 'how to fall through a taxi windscreen' segment?

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

I'll go for that !!
    Friday night Saturday morning probably your best bet at about 2am

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm thinking "How to use off road shared use paths" would be useful. After all, sometimes they are nicer, and more direct, but so many cyclists don't seem to understand about 1) avoiding peds and 2) keeping left. The riverside path here in York is a good example.

Other things we need are:

avoiding the door zone

primary and secondary position.

pinch points

filtering (whether to, and how to safely)

red lights/pavements and why not to jump/use them

Also perhaps a brief "things to check regularly on your bike" and "best stuff to wear" and "If you choose to wear a helmet, here's how it SHOULD fit"

9. Carwash

Carwash Señor Member

Good lord, yes!

Is there anything recumbent-specific worth mentioning, e.g. visibility issues (how to maximise what you can see and what can see you) etc?

10. Arch

I think that might stray outside beginners. I think if you are getting a recumbent, you're probably already a fairly experienced cyclist.

Wouldn't do any harm to have a few in, casual like...:blush:

Oh, and how to use gears effectively, and good bike set up (saddle height etc)

This is turning into a three part epic....

11. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

You've got the gig :blush:xx(

12. Jacomus-rides-Gen

So, current sections, in some kind of rough order that makes sense to me.

• The Machine
    • Set up your bicycle
    • Buying cheapo lights
    • Regular checks
    • Helmet fitting

Basics
    • How to perform an emergency stop - Shotgun this one
    • Primary and secondary position
    • The door zone
    • Traffic lights and pavements

Tricky bits
    • Filtering
    • RABs - Shoutgun this one too
    • Pinch points and potholes - Arch
    • Shared paths - Arch

Suggestions welcome.

Also if you feel that you would have something to contribute to a section, say which one and I will preliminarily put your name against it. Obviously this doesn't mean you have to do anything, but it would be nice to know what people thought.

13. Arch

I have some nice pinchpoints which combine with something else - terrible road surface/potholes.

I'd be happy to try and oblige with anything really - except maybe emergency stops, but you've bagged that.:blush:

14. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Excellent Arch, duly noted!

There is a chance that i am getting way too excited about this, but damnit, i don't care - i haven't been this overexcited for ages and I intend to enjoy it.

15. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

Im also getting quite adept at taking out wing mirrors with my elbow and running away! It was an accident officer, honest! :biggrin: