CycleChat Safe Cycling video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pzycoman

Can I be the lycra lout (iv got a full TT bike with quad spoked wheels) where you say "Dont do this" and show me jumping red lights / shouting at drivers / assaulting taxi drivers? :blush:

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

I could do a piece on negotiating RABs, I have a few very close to me, and also a nasty multilane one way system I can negotiate.

Can I be the lycra lout (iv got a full TT bike with quad spoked wheels) where you say "Dont do this" and show me jumping red lights / shouting at drivers / assaulting taxi drivers?
With an assault rifle on your back I hope!

I will do the 'cafe etiquette' demonstration - how to eat cake (all varieties), scones, baked spuds, toasted teacakes, toasted sandwiches, ploughmans, soup, waffles, crumpets, normal sandwiches, smoothies, tea, coffee without offending social mores; plus suggest responses to the following cafe etiquette dilemmas:
How many free refills is too many?
Should I demand HP sauce or is own brand or daddies acceptable?
Do I refuse the complimentary home made fudge?
Is it OK to leave the salad garnish?
Can I ask for a cheese and jam sandwich without offending?

And many, many more...

Canrider

Guru
I volunteer to do the 'how to kibitz about bikes even though you haven't owned one for a year' segment.

Anyone want to volunteer for the 'how to fall through a taxi windscreen' segment?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm thinking "How to use off road shared use paths" would be useful. After all, sometimes they are nicer, and more direct, but so many cyclists don't seem to understand about 1) avoiding peds and 2) keeping left. The riverside path here in York is a good example.

Other things we need are:

avoiding the door zone

primary and secondary position.

pinch points

filtering (whether to, and how to safely)

red lights/pavements and why not to jump/use them

Also perhaps a brief "things to check regularly on your bike" and "best stuff to wear" and "If you choose to wear a helmet, here's how it SHOULD fit"

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
I'm thinking "How to use off road shared use paths" would be useful. After all, sometimes they are nicer, and more direct, but so many cyclists don't seem to understand about 1) avoiding peds and 2) keeping left. The riverside path here in York is a good example.

Good lord, yes!

Is there anything recumbent-specific worth mentioning, e.g. visibility issues (how to maximise what you can see and what can see you) etc?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
Good lord, yes!

Is there anything recumbent-specific worth mentioning, e.g. visibility issues (how to maximise what you can see and what can see you) etc?

I think that might stray outside beginners. I think if you are getting a recumbent, you're probably already a fairly experienced cyclist.

Wouldn't do any harm to have a few in, casual like...:blush:

Oh, and how to use gears effectively, and good bike set up (saddle height etc)

This is turning into a three part epic....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
pzycoman said:
Can I be the lycra lout (iv got a full TT bike with quad spoked wheels) where you say "Dont do this" and show me jumping red lights / shouting at drivers / assaulting taxi drivers? :biggrin:

You've got the gig :blush:xx(

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

So, current sections, in some kind of rough order that makes sense to me.

• The Machine
  • Set up your bicycle
  • Buying cheapo lights
  • Regular checks
  • Helmet fitting

Basics
  • How to perform an emergency stop - Shotgun this one
  • Primary and secondary position
  • The door zone
  • Traffic lights and pavements

Tricky bits
  • Filtering
  • RABs - Shoutgun this one too
  • Pinch points and potholes - Arch
  • Shared paths - Arch

Suggestions welcome.

Also if you feel that you would have something to contribute to a section, say which one and I will preliminarily put your name against it. Obviously this doesn't mean you have to do anything, but it would be nice to know what people thought.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have some nice pinchpoints which combine with something else - terrible road surface/potholes.

I'd be happy to try and oblige with anything really - except maybe emergency stops, but you've bagged that.:blush:

Top Bottom