CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Cheers. It was one of our Sunday rides so we would have been there early morning. Lots of options on your ride tomorrow. Kelsall cycles, the new cafe in Tarporley, new visitor centre in Delamere etc. 👍

Someone told me they paid circa £3 for a coffee at that new visitor centre so they won't be getting my custom!!!

dodgy

Cheers. It was one of our Sunday rides so we would have been there early morning. Lots of options on your ride tomorrow. Kelsall cycles, the new cafe in Tarporley, new visitor centre in Delamere etc. 👍
Says here 7 days a week 8am to 6pm https://www.stonehousefarmbandb.co.uk/cafe.html

GuyBoden

Guru
Someone told me they paid circa £3 for a coffee at that new visitor centre so they won't be getting my custom!!!

If you're feeling very hungry, as a last resort, there's always the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm near Beeston Castle, if can put up with all the shrieking kids.

But, it's £2.50p for a coffee, I know, I know, charging scandalous London prices for a coffee in the North West, it's just not on.

https://www.theicecreamfarm.co.uk/w...F_SPGoesOutside-Menu-A0-V1.0-3-compressed.pdf

dodgy

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you're feeling very hungry, as a last resort, there's always the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm near Beeston Castle, if can put up with all the shrieking kids.

But, it's £2.50p for a coffee, I know, I know, charging scandalous London prices for a coffee in the North West, it's just not on.

https://www.theicecreamfarm.co.uk/w...F_SPGoesOutside-Menu-A0-V1.0-3-compressed.pdf
Can I ask what you feel is reasonable charge for a cup of coffee? £2.50 seems very reasonable and I'm in Lancashire.

dodgy

I'm a cyclist, i like coffee at stops, but it's not something I do every day so I don't even take any notice how much it costs, unless they're taking the p155 of course.

Can I ask what you feel is reasonable charge for a cup of coffee? £2.50 seems very reasonable and I'm in Lancashire.
I normally pay about a fiver for a coffee and cake. Not actually sure how much is cake and how much for the coffee. £3 doesn't seem that bad - and it might have been a fancy one ?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I normally pay about a fiver for a coffee and cake. Not actually sure how much is cake and how much for the coffee. £3 doesn't seem that bad - and it might have been a fancy one ?
I'd agree £3 seems to be the going rate. I know both cheaper and more expensive places, some do good deals like coffee and cake or bacon barm for £5.

My OAP group has started discussing the cost of cafe stops and generally feel it's now too high. Riding three times a week is costly. The days of beans on toast are long gone. I think we're leaning towards dropping expensive ones except for our real favourites and favouring the few where we can still find value or beans!

I don't object to paying fair prices and largely agree cafés need to charge as they do. The difficulty is for someone like me who rides three times a week it quickly gets close to +/-£20 per week.

During lockdown we started using takeaway bakers and similar. Usually very good value and quick. We've also started using some great mobile coffee bars - trouble is they're mobile and not always in the same spot.

dodgy

I'd agree £3 seems to be the going rate. I know both cheaper and more expensive places, some do good deals like coffee and cake or bacon barm for £5.

My OAP group has started discussing the cost of cafe stops and generally feel it's now too high. Riding three times a week is costly. The days of beans on toast are long gone. I think we're leaning towards dropping expensive ones except for our real favourites and favouring the few where we can still find value or beans!

I don't object to paying fair prices and largely agree cafés need to charge as they do. The difficulty is for someone like me who rides three times a week it quickly gets close to +/-£20 per week.

During lockdown we started using takeaway bakers and similar. Usually very good value and quick. We've also started using some great mobile coffee bars - trouble is they're mobile and not always in the same spot.

Have you thought of taking a hexi stove or similar and some 3in1 coffee packets and brewing up in quiet spots with a view? That’s what I did in the main lockdown. I didn’t do it to save money, but it is definitely cheap. Plus it adds to the adventure of a ride. Do that on 2 rides a week and go mad in a cafe for your third :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Have you thought of taking a hexi stove or similar and some 3in1 coffee packets and brewing up in quiet spots with a view? That’s what I did in the main lockdown. I didn’t do it to save money, but it is definitely cheap. Plus it adds to the adventure of a ride. Do that on 2 rides a week and go mad in a cafe for your third :laugh:
Doesn't really work for my main group and our style of riding - we're all roadies. When I go gravel riding solo I take a Thermos cup and sandwich. I truly enjoy sitting alone quietly on my "field" stop.

riding solo I take a Thermos cup and sandwich. I truly enjoy sitting alone quietly on my "field" stop.
This is me anyhow, although not usually coffee. I just like to sit and enjoy the scenery at whatever place I've stopped.
In fact, despite starting this thread, I don't think I've ever, in my life, stopped at a cafe on a bike ride! The nearest, I suppose, was the big stop in the middle of the London-to-Brighton in 2016!

dodgy

Doesn't really work for my main group and our style of riding - we're all roadies. When I go gravel riding solo I take a Thermos cup and sandwich. I truly enjoy sitting alone quietly on my "field" stop.
I'm a roadie also, but I only ride solo. Riding solo has benefits such as deciding to take a hexi stove and brew up in a church garden and use their water :becool::okay: Hexi stove with fuel and mug weighs about 50 grams I think, don't even notice it. Water freely available!

RoMeR

Über Member
I'm a roadie also, but I only ride solo. Riding solo has benefits such as deciding to take a hexi stove and brew up in a church garden and use their water :becool::okay: Hexi stove with fuel and mug weighs about 50 grams I think, don't even notice it. Water freely available!
Check out Speedster Stoves for Titanium hexi burner + wire pot support for lightweight cooking. Used with a Titanium mug from Alpkit it's a great setup IMHO.

Top Bottom