Cyclecraft is "destroying" UK cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Unfortunately, many councils fail to put operational hours in place properly, which means that even if a driver is caught driving in a MCL they'll get off.
If any courts have been letting people off for this reason, then they don't know the rules.

DfT "Know Your Signs":
Mandatory with-flow pedal cycle lane. Other vehicles must not use this part of the carriageway except to pick up or set down passengers. Hours of operation may be shown
If no hours of operation are shown for a cycle lane, it is full-time.

subaqua

What’s the point
If any courts have been letting people off for this reason, then they don't know the rules.

DfT "Know Your Signs":

If no hours of operation are shown for a cycle lane, it is full-time.

again we get into grey areas that most motorists and most cyclists would not know about. Bus lanes with solid line( used also as cycle lanes where signed) MUST have the hours of operation shown, the words "at all times " are used.

its all about education of drivers. we issue a permit to drive at 17 and then don't retest ever again until a court says you must be retested before getting the permit back. The laws and rules have changed significantly since I was 17 so those who got licences in the 50s will have seen major changes but might not know about all of the changes.

MrHappyCyclist

again we get into grey areas that most motorists and most cyclists would not know about. Bus lanes with solid line( used also as cycle lanes where signed) MUST have the hours of operation shown, the words "at all times " are used.
OK, but we weren't talking about bus lanes.

its all about education of drivers. we issue a permit to drive at 17 and then don't retest ever again until a court says you must be retested before getting the permit back. The laws and rules have changed significantly since I was 17 so those who got licences in the 50s will have seen major changes but might not know about all of the changes.
This I agree with; I am sure many of the drivers out there haven't looked at a highway code for 30 years or more. I think there should be a requirement to pass a theory test at least every ten years or so in order to keep a driving licence.

subaqua

What’s the point
OK, but we weren't talking about bus lanes.

This I agree with; I am sure many of the drivers out there haven't looked at a highway code for 30 years or more. I think there should be a requirement to pass a theory test at least every ten years or so in order to keep a driving licence.

do you think that mr/s motorist knows the difference between a bus lane they shouldn't drive in and a cycle lane they shouldn't. most bus lanes here in the east of town that are in use at all times are in use at all times- by everything that can be driven on the road. even the cameras and the fines don't deter people.

MrHappyCyclist

do you think that mr/s motorist knows the difference between a bus lane they shouldn't drive in and a cycle lane they shouldn't. most bus lanes here in the east of town that are in use at all times are in use at all times- by everything that can be driven on the road. even the cameras and the fines don't deter people.
This is all irrelevant. A solid white line delineating a mandatory cycle lane means do not cross the white line and do not drive in the cycle lane. If there happens to be a time of operation specified, then they may possibly realise that there are some times when they are allowed. Fine distinctions about bus lanes and cycle lanes are just angels on a pinhead stuff.

(Yes, if they are one of the rare discerning ones, they may know that the exeption is when dropping off passengers.)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
not least Lambeth Council which had wardens stopping people from riding down the Embankment without troubling with a TRO

MrHappyCyclist

TROs require hours of operation to be specified - either as 'at all hours' or during specified periods.
Well, I've searched for this requirement to post times of operation on a sign, and I can't find it. Do you have a reference?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think it's a question of laying the order and specifying the times in the order, rather than putting up a sign.

Pity the poor PCSOs doing their thing on the Embankment when Lambeth CC members rolled up and said 'show us the TRO!'

I am sure many of the drivers out there haven't looked at a highway code for 30 years or more.

Perhaps we could persuade the AA to hand out free copies to drivers ;)

MrHappyCyclist

I don't know why you're harking on about signs.
Apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to a requirement to specify times of operation of the mandatory cycle lane in the signage. I guess you mean in the original paperwork associated with the TRO that establishes the mandatory cycle lane.

If you want to know about the relevant requirements, I suggest you look at the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
Thanks for the reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom