Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
So you'd better change you description to "CycleCraft is the cyclist's Origin of Species".

The ones who ride up the inside of trucks eventually become extinct due to failed trial and error, while the ones who hang back and let the truck go ahead ( or even get out of its way completely ) survive.

So you agree with Cyclecraft that it's better to hang back! This is progress. Perhaps there are other areas of agreement between the all knowing Jimbo and Cyclecraft :biggrin:

jimboalee

My cycling techniques have evolved over the years. I have become more ready to get out of what I consider dangerous situations rather than ride directly in front of heavy vehicles.

Sitting here typing this post, I like to think of myself as a 'survivor'.

jimboalee

So you agree with Cyclecraft that it's better to hang back! This is progress. Perhaps there are other areas of agreement between the all knowing Jimbo and Cyclecraft :biggrin:

You have this psycology that all cyclists, including the 'all knowing jimbo' should agree with CycleCraft without question.

You still have The Bible on your mind.

I might be at the next Critical Mass in London. Bring your thumbscrews.

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1225187"]
It doesn't work for you though Jimmy. I ride the same roads as you and overtake using the normal method, which helps because everyone else understands it. Doing your thing doesn't make it more effective or safer, so your extra jiggles are unnecessary and pointless.
[/quote]

Ahh. Mr Paul has woken up and re-entered the fray by throwing the 'bold statement' hat in the ring.

Your typing was "unnecessary and pointless" because I'm not going to stop 'doing my own thing' . From my viewpoint, it works and that's enough justification for me.

If your method works for you, do it.

And BTW, my name is not Jimmy.

Origamist

Legendary Member
You have this psycology that all cyclists, including the 'all knowing jimbo' should agree with CycleCraft without question.

You still have The Bible on your mind.

I might be at the next Critical Mass in London. Bring your thumbscrews.

Jim, it's your weird fixation with the book that is the problem - it's almost as if you can't bring yourself to agree with anything that is written in it. This leads you to proffer alternative strategies that get picked apart, dismissed or laughed at. I can see why this is frustrating, but it's because your theories often don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Everyone should question and examine what is written in Cyclecraft, but it seems a bit odd (to say the least) to throw the baby out with the bath water, because you struggle with the primary position!

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1225189"]
I've read, assessed, and evaluated. And I'd like to quote your full post below-

Note my bold. It's a definite suggestion that others should follow your wiggly behaviour.
[/quote]

Someone once said in this chatroom "Take jimbo's comments with a pinch of salt".

The OP asked "Where can I purchase CycleCraft?" He got his answer and no doubt he will read it and follow its advice. That's good.

When someone subsequently posts 'Top Tips" according to their experience, he can compare the Chatroom comments with CycleCraft and make up his own mind. He will most probably dismiss my 'Top Tip' as a one persons view and follow CycleCraft.
Or he may try the technique himself and make his own choice.

It is the devotees of Cyclecraft who insist on turning subsequent postings into a moral battle to defend their holy book.

jimboalee

Jim, it's your weird fixation with the book that is the problem - it's almost as if you can't bring yourself to agree with anything that is written in it. This leads you to proffer alternative strategies that get picked apart, dismissed or laughed at. I can see why this is frustrating, but it's because your theories often don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Everyone should question and examine what is written in Cyclecraft, but it seems a bit odd (to say the least) to throw the baby out with the bath water, because you struggle with the primary position!

I don't "struggle" with 'Primary'. I know where it is and choose not to use it. Where's the law against that?

In MY experience, it promotes aggression from motorists.

I forward my opinions and the result is they are 'picked apart, dismissed or laughed at'.

They may be contrary to popular belief and many of you might respond by stating your experience, or what's written in that book.

I will continue to recount MY experiences, and if you still have problems with that, you'd better speak with Admin.

He'll most likely say jimbo's not breaking any laws or rules of the forum.

Origamist

Legendary Member
It is the devotees of Cyclecraft who insist on turning subsequent postings into a moral battle to defend their holy book.

Jim, it's not an ethical conflict, but usually a failure of comprehension on your part - only a few months ago you were confusing the terms primary and secondary, and in this thread you continue to misunderstand the central tenet of the text: it is not a strict rule book...

Origamist

Legendary Member
I don't "struggle" with 'Primary'. I know where it is and choose not to use it. Where's the law against that?

In MY experience, it promotes aggression from motorists.

I forward my opinions and the result is they are 'picked apart, dismissed or laughed at'.

They may be contrary to popular belief and many of you might respond by stating your experience, or what's written in that book.

I will continue to recount MY experiences, and if you still have problems with that, you'd better speak with Admin.

He'll most likely say jimbo's not breaking any laws or rules of the forum.

LOL - you never find yourself in the middle of the lane! How do you pass stationary cars - bunnyhop them? :biggrin:

I have to cycle with Cyclecraft strapped to my handlebars otherwise I crash 6 times a day - I'm helpless without it...

Oh, I have no problem with you expressing your opinions - this is the commuting forum after all - everyone talks shoot here...(but some far more than others ;) )

jimboalee

LOL - you never find yourself in the middle of the lane! How do you pass stationary cars - bunnyhop them? :biggrin:

I have to cycle with Cyclecraft strapped to my handlebars otherwise I crash 6 times a day - I'm helpless without it...

Oh, I have no problem with you expressing your opinions - this is the commuting forum after all - everyone talks shoot here...(but some far more than others ;) )

LOL - You can't accept there is someone who doesn't entirely agree with CycleCraft.

You have to be sarcastic and rediculous.

If you did have no problems with me expressing my opinions, you would not respond with shoot of your own.

Oh BTW, I couldn't see that vid you posted, there was too much of a smokescreen.

Origamist

Legendary Member
LOL - You can't accept there is someone who doesn't entirely agree with CycleCraft.

You have to be sarcastic and rediculous.

If you did have no problems with me expressing my opinions, you would not respond with shoot of your own.

Oh BTW, I couldn't see that vid you posted, there was too much of a smokescreen.

I have no issue with you becasue you disagree with parts of Cyclecraft; it's simply because 4/5 of what you write on here is nonsense. I hope that's clear.

The "Curb Your Enthusiasm" vid is very funny, Jim - as a "survivor", you'll be sure to appreciate it.

brokenbetty

Über Member

Whereas your approach is more Da Vinci Code: hints, secrets, false clues and misdirection, with the true story only revealed through patient unteasing and no small amount of luck :biggrin: Do you really think giving advice that only makes sense taken in conjunction with a comment made in a completely different part of the site is an effective approach? And you an engineer! ;)

More seriously, I think you fundamentally misunderstand where the people disagreeing with you are coming from. There are no "Cyclecraft devotees". I skimmed it briefly a while ago, thought "yup, that's good advice, it's pretty much what I'd advise a nervous cyclist", and put it back on the shelf. It's main value to me is in providing a handy common terminology.

As Paul says, people aren't disagreeing with you because you disagree with cyclecraft. They are disagreeing with you from their own experience.

jimboalee

I've had quite an interesting afternoon.

My son and I went into Birmingham on the train and he persuaded me to pre-order Call of Duty, Black Ops for Xbox 360.

Then we went back to his place and played Call of Duty, Modern Warfare II.

Then we went to Game in Solihull to look at XBox Kinect and how it will interface with Call of Duty, Black Ops; and then into John Lewis to look at a 47" telly.

Exhillerating, heart pounding, sweat producing.... with NO risk of physical injury or need to wear a helmet.

I think I will give up cycling.

jimboalee

I've had quite an interesting afternoon.

My son and I went into Birmingham on the train and he persuaded me to pre-order Call of Duty, Black Ops for Xbox 360.

Then we went back to his place and played Call of Duty, Modern Warfare II.

Then we went to Game in Solihull to look at XBox Kinect and how it will interface with Call of Duty, Black Ops; and then into John Lewis to look at a 47" telly.

Exhillerating, heart pounding, sweat producing.... with NO risk of physical injury or need to wear a helmet.

I think I will give up cycling.

Can you believe a fifty year old bloke who has ridden a bicycle for forty four years can, in the space of forty eight hours, be completely turned of cycling and onto 'Shooter' video gaming?

Top Bottom