Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here you go - Cyclecraft

jimboalee

The Author attempts to re-write ( using different terminology ) the Auto Cycle Union's handouts for their Moped ( 50cc 30 mph restricted motorised bicycle ) instructionals, except the vehicle hasn't got an engine and generally travels at half the speed.

A 30 mph restricted moped in a 50 mph limit is no different from an 18 mph pedal cycle in a 30 mph limit.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The Author attempts to re-write ( using different terminology ) the Auto Cycle Union's handouts for their Moped ( 50cc 30 mph restricted motorised bicycle ) instructionals, except the vehicle hasn't got an engine and generally travels at half the speed.

A 30 mph restricted moped in a 50 mph limit is no different from an 18 mph pedal cycle in a 30 mph limit.

You do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with this book and author, Jim. I'd recommend strategically placing some Reader's Digests and short stories by Somerset Maugham in every room of your house and then pick them up and read them at regular intervals throughout the day - it will take your mind off that crazeeeee guy Franklin and his absurd views on cycling.

Davidc

Guru
It's not the kind of thing you'd ever return again to for reference and I personally didn't learn anything new from it. I'd just borrow it from the library.

I do (return again for reference) and I did (learn plenty new from it) and I'm hardly a novice cyclist!

Useful book for any cyclist at any level. IMO.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not the kind of thing you'd ever return again to for reference and I personally didn't learn anything new from it. I'd just borrow it from the library.

I have returned to it on occasions and reread sections. When I was advised to get it (on the old C+ site), I didn't understand for example how to stop a car from overtaking me at a junction and was tending to cycle in / near the gutter.

StuartG

slower but further
I found it useful as an input. IMHO the problem is the people who treat it as gospel.

The authors main thrust is to get people out of the gutter. That's where he and everyone of my generation began riding. It was natural and on well maintained roads with less traffic and even less road engineered traffic management - it was not a real problem.

You just can't cycle safely that way these days. Hence the 'primary' position. While you can't understate the potential value of using primary - you can easily underestimate how counter intuitive it appears to the new or frightened cyclist. That's why I believe Franklin pushes it so hard. Like others I believe being justifiable able to take primary doesn't imply you should every time. It has to be a balance with other road users and tempered also with experience. But such nuances are difficult to convey in an instruction manual and Franklin presumably thinks, and I agree, it would obscure the main thrust.

I read it. I have learnt from it. I follow much of it. And when I don't - it helps me clarify my reasons for not doing so.

Norm

I found it useful as an input. IMHO the problem is the people who treat it as gospel.
<<snip>>
I read it. I have learnt from it. I follow much of it. And when I don't - it helps me clarify my reasons for not doing so.
Excellent, sums up just how I feel too. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

I read it in 2007 when laid up for three weeks following a crash. Most of it I knew, there were one or two things I didn't and a few things he was doing differently. I used it to ditch some bad habits and generally refine my technique a bit.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I borrowed it from the library a couple of months ago - it taught me that it was my choice where I rode, and that secondary position was more to allow the flow of traffic than anything else, and that primary was an excellent way of controlling the traffic behind me from doing anything that endangered mine (and their!) safety. Was a great resource for a relative novice.

Happy that I borrowed it rather than bought it though.

jimboalee

prim.jpg

let.jpg

Two cyclists, as seen from the cab of a truck. Which one will get the biggest "Thanks"?

Top Bottom