Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
prim.jpg

let.jpg

Two cyclists, as seen from the cab of a truck. Which one will get the biggest "Thanks"?

More good art, Jim.

The answer is the first pic.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Wrong question, it should be which one will live longer? The one in the first pic, that is the one which is most easily seen and avoided. Everybody has the right to use the road as a pedestrian, a cyclist or a horse rider, drivers are only there by licence. We do not need to apologise for being there, riding in the primary position is about safety, again there is no need to apologise for being there. Bullies should never be tolerated!

edit: typo

jimboalee

Motorist looking right at traffic island to check its clear to go.
check.jpg

Looks ahead and "Wotthefu..!!"

wotthe.jpg

Some cyclist in the middle of the lane.

Lurker

<br />Wrong question, it should be which one will live longer? The one in the first pic, that is the one which is most easily seen and avoided. Everybody has the right to use the road as a pedestrian, a cyclist or a house rider, drivers are only there by licence. We do not need to apologise for being there, riding in the primary position is about safety, again there is no need to apologise for being there. Bullies should never be tolerated!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

+1

Lurker

check.jpg

wotthe.jpg

brokenbetty

Über Member
check.jpg

wotthe.jpg

I'm very worried this motorist hadn't noticed a cyclist in front of them any earlier.

Are you implying the cyclist swerved at the last minute? If so I don't see your point. Late, unpredictable manoeuvring is clearly dangerous but that doesn't have any bearing on whether a cyclist should move safely into primary in the approach to a pinch point or not.

If, on the other hand, the cyclist was there all along and the driver failed to see them you have just illustrated that the safest place to be when the road narrows is right in front where the driver has to look.

Jim, could you explain the run up to this scenario?

jimboalee

Good sketches. But the Highway Code is clear - the onus is on you as a driver to look where you're going.

See

Roundabouts (184-190)

When reaching the roundabout you should

.....look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off

http://www.direct.go...ycode/DG_070338

Here stands a man who is prepared to swap his bike for a wheelchair to prove a point of law.

As we know, motorists don't always look where they're going.

jimboalee

I'm very worried this motorist hadn't noticed a cyclist in front of them any earlier.

Are you implying the cyclist swerved at the last minute? If so I don't see your point. Late, unpredictable manoeuvring is clearly dangerous but that doesn't have any bearing on whether a cyclist should move safely into primary in the approach to a pinch point or not.

If, on the other hand, the cyclist was there all along and the driver failed to see them you have just illustrated that the safest place to be when the road narrows is right in front where the driver has to look.

Jim, could you explain the run up to this scenario?

Actually,,,, I should have put a time and place on this. Summer 1994 at Salford Circus ( underneath Spaghetti Junction ).
I wasn't the cyclist. He was some unfortunate who got taken away by the Paramedics.

Since seeing the state of his bike, I've NEVER approched an island in the centre of the lane.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Actually,,,, I should have put a time and place on this. Summer 1994 at Salford Circus ( underneath Spaghetti Junction ).
I wasn't the cyclist. He was some unfortunate who got taken away by the Paramedics.

Since seeing the state of his bike, I've NEVER approched an island in the centre of the lane.

Thank you for the date, but that wasn't what I asked. Did the cyclist serve late in front of the car?

jimboalee

Thank you for the date, but that wasn't what I asked. Did the cyclist serve late in front of the car?

I don't know. I arrived when the Parameds had him strapped to a stretcher. The copper on the scene said he was "in the middle of the lane".
The motorist was completely to fault. 'Without due care and attention". But even so, I would prefer a dozy motorist to give me a close pass rather than a full-on rear end up my jacksee.

Top Bottom