Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you hadn't noticed, the cyclist is stopped at the curb and looking round to watch the the 40 ton truck roll past.

You stop to let the lorry move past!!!! Have you thought that van drivers might like you to do that... and what about large people carriers ... then there are those large cars ... and even a few of the small cars might like this feature.... I don't think you have thought out the full potential of this scheme :biggrin:

Me I prefer cycling.

wotthe.jpg

Some cyclist in the middle of the lane.
Some motorist getting a blowjob from Penfold.

marmalade400

If you hadn't noticed, the cyclist is stopped at the curb and looking round to watch the the 40 ton truck roll past.

Now I shall sit here and wait for someone to respond with another "What if".

I apologise then, in that case I misinterpreted your drawing. I will agree with you that in some circumstances it is better to stop at the curb and let a large truck past.

Unfortunately I have one more question! If you think approaching roundabouts in primary is a bad idea because drivers won't look in front of them and drive into the back of you, then how is your method any better? If the driver is only looking right until he starts moving, to the extent he would not notice a cyclist in front of him, then surely he won't see you or your signal either?

jimboalee

You stop to let the lorry move past!!!! Have you thought that van drivers might like you to do that... and what about large people carriers ... then there are those large cars ... and even a few of the small cars might like this feature.... I don't think you have thought out the full potential of this scheme :biggrin:

Me I prefer cycling.

I've increased the gearing on my BSA because I found I was doing this too often. Top was 56", I loaded a 21 sprocket to give 58", but that wasn't enough yesterday afternoon so I loaded a 20 to give 61".
Now I can do a respectable 15.5 mph on the flat.

I went on a little trip to Wolverhampton on Saturday and found delivery vans not in the best of moods. I was just too damned slow. So instead of holding up the traffic, I paused at the curb and let him through. Maybe that's one van driver who's opinion of cyclists has changed for the better.

... instead of holding up the traffic, I paused at the curb and let him through. Maybe that's one van driver who's opinion of cyclists has changed for the better.

Well done. Also follows Highway Code advice to ALL road users on letting faster traffic through WHEN APPLICABLE.

I don't commute in heavy traffic so don't meet many of the problems that others do but I do make space when safe. Seldom need to stop but just move over a bit.

Origamist

Legendary Member

In Franklin's book, does he suggest that if you have 40 tons of Artic following you, it would be sensible to pull over and let the truck pass, or move to 'Primary' and 'take the road' at a miserable 15 mph?

We all know humans make mistakes. The truck driver, in his anguish of having a 15 mph cyclist in front of him, unintentionally treads on the accellerator instead of the brake.

Now I shall sit here and wait for someone to respond with another "What if".

If you were going to stop and pull in, I'd do it much further back from the pinch point than your drawing seems to suggest.

As for the "what ifs" - they seem to be your forte...

jimboalee

If you were going to stop and pull in, I'd do it much further back from the pinch point than your drawing seems to suggest.

As for the "what ifs" - they seem to be your forte...

Of course :biggrin: . I ask "What if" at every junction and everytime I hear an loud engine type noise behind me.

On that subject, I was approaching a junction in Olton , Solihull yesterday, I gave a quick glance back to check the traffic and there was a Toyota Prius up my derriere making no noise at all....

Origamist

Legendary Member
Of course :biggrin: . I ask "What if" at every junction and everytime I hear an loud engine type noise behind me.

On that subject, I was approaching a junction in Olton , Solihull yesterday, I gave a quick glance back to check the traffic and there was a Toyota Prius up my derriere making no noise at all....

Which should tell you to prioritise looking rather than listening on the approach to a junction...

snailracer

Über Member

I find, amazingly, that buses can be sneak up, unheard, behind me, probably because they are rear-engined, have freewheeling gearboxes and quiet tyres.

PS I use a helmet mirror.

CotterPin

I've increased the gearing on my BSA because I found I was doing this too often. Top was 56", I loaded a 21 sprocket to give 58", but that wasn't enough yesterday afternoon so I loaded a 20 to give 61".
Now I can do a respectable 15.5 mph on the flat.

I went on a little trip to Wolverhampton on Saturday and found delivery vans not in the best of moods. I was just too damned slow. So instead of holding up the traffic, I paused at the curb and let him through. Maybe that's one van driver who's opinion of cyclists has changed for the better.

I am not inclined to get into a discussion on primary vs secondary vs stopping on the side road but I think your point I have put in bold sums up a common attitude amongst many cyclists. They fail to recognise that there is a person operating the other vehicles on the road and see them as independent and rather randomly moving objects that need to be kept out of the way of rather than other human beings with whom they can negotiate space on the road.

jimboalee

I have on occasion been cycling along an arterial route out of Birmingham when I come up behind a 'Flourocoat Hybridian' doing 12 – 13 mph in secondary. There is a stream of traffic passing us and he wanders across to a broader position when we approach central bollards. As per the 'Book', and all the traffic slow up with me at their side and I shrug my shoulders at the guy in the leading car.

Past the central bollards I call "Rider up!" but he just glances at me and continues on his merry slow way as if he's all the right in the world to hold up faster traffic.

As the chap who wishes to overtake, I have to judge my move which doesn't happen for quite a while. When it does, he gets a glare that would freeze hell's basement.

Where he got his cycling sense from, I don't frigging know?

MartinC

Über Member
As the chap who wishes to overtake, I have to judge my move which doesn't happen for quite a while.

Ah, but according to your logic this chap should consult with the chap behind to see if they want to go faster and be prepared to pull over and let them rather than blocking them. Presumably the chap behind should do the same too. Ad infinitum.

You must spend an awful lot of time parked by the side of the road whether you're riding or cycling. :rolleyes:

What do you do when you're on the bus?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I have on occasion been cycling along an arterial route out of Birmingham when I come up behind a 'Flourocoat Hybridian' doing 12 – 13 mph in secondary. There is a stream of traffic passing us and he wanders across to a broader position when we approach central bollards. As per the 'Book', and all the traffic slow up with me at their side and I shrug my shoulders at the guy in the leading car.

WTF. The guy didn't get killed, maimed, or even harrassed and he rode in the middle of the lane!

He seems to have been remarkably fortunate to escape with only one of Jimbo's withering, squinty-eyed stares :angry:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I didn't notice you there. That's an assumption.

Jim, you said he was in secondary, "wandered" to a broader position as he approached "central bollards", and held-up traffic - hence why you gave him the evil-eye, you big tough guy you! It thereofre seems a reasonable asusmption that this guy was riding in the centre of the lane, or thereabouts as this manoeuvre always seems to get you agitated.

Top Bottom