Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I don't know. I arrived when the Parameds had him strapped to a stretcher. The copper on the scene said he was "in the middle of the lane".
The motorist was completely to fault. 'Without due care and attention". But even so, I would prefer a dozy motorist to give me a close pass rather than a full-on rear end up my jacksee.

So would I. But you don't know whether it would have been just a close pass. The driver was unable to notice a cyclist right in front of him so it's a big assumption that he would have just sailed safely by one cowering in the gutter.

If the driver's next manoeuvre was a left turn, a cyclist in the gutter could have been dead.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Thank you for the date, but that wasn't what I asked. Did the cyclist serve late in front of the car?

Betty, the narrative is of little consequence in one of Jimbo's reductive and fanciful road safety anecdotes as they invariably equate the primary position with instant death or at the very least, a hideous, life-changing injury.

mgarl10024

Über Member
On the advice of people on this forum (when I asked a few questions about junctions), I recently took part in some cycle training provided by the council.
The emphasis was very much about 'owning your bit of road', being noticed, and taking primary at junctions etc.
My colleagues at work sneered that taking primary was more likely to annoy the motorists and get you squished, but I reckon it'd be safer than both me and a car trying to squeeze through.

snailracer

Über Member
Motorist looking right at traffic island to check its clear to go.
check.jpg

Looks ahead and "Wotthefu..!!"

wotthe.jpg

Some cyclist in the middle of the lane.
Statistically, cyclists are more likely to get hit by a left hook, than rear-ended.

Motorist looking right at traffic island to check its clear to go.
check.jpg

Looks ahead and "Wotthefu..!!"

wotthe.jpg

Some cyclist in the middle of the lane.

At least there the driver see the cyclist and there's a greater chance they can stop, its the poor other cyclist thats approximately 1.5m further left and the driver never saw them untill a few seconds later by then it was too late they'd alread squished them :sad:

jimboalee

If you always approach a roundabout in the gutter, what happens when you want to go straight on and all the cars to your right want to turn left?

You're the first member to mention the word "gutter". You assume because I don't take a mid-lane position, I'm in the gutter.

Have you ever heared of "Hand Signals". A cyclist can signal 'Right' on the entrance to an island and then abandon that signal when he's passed the penultimate exit.
That's a nice little 'cheat' in crowded situations.

marmalade400

You're the first member to mention the word "gutter". You assume because I don't take a mid-lane position, I'm in the gutter.

I may be the first to mention riding in the gutter, but not the first to draw it!

Cyclecraft is a book that like many others tries to address an issue or problem and come up with solutions.

It may not suit everyone, but it can give ideas,offer advice and help

If this helps you improve or reaffirms what you are already doing then it will have achieved something.

I have found it useful for helping to educate others.

A couple of people I know who are drivers have taken on board the primary and are now aware of the dangers of the left hook after reading this

However if you feel it is not for you then that is up to you

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Here stands a man who is prepared to swap his bike for a wheelchair to prove a point of law.

As we know, motorists don't always look where they're going.

Which is why, as you have illustrated the primary position is safer that the secondary position on the approach to a pinch point, put your self where you will be seen. Cyclist have been killed while gutter hugging...

The primary works for me on several levels.

One I wasn't aware of when I was behind a colleague at a junction....

They were impressed that by being directly behind them they had no fear of my moving inside them and had clearly signalled my intention not to do so.

jimboalee

Yes, what did happen to 'Secondary'? Looks like the gutter to me...

let.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, the cyclist is stopped at the curb and looking round to watch the the 40 ton truck roll past.

In Franklin's book, does he suggest that if you have 40 tons of Artic following you, it would be sensible to pull over and let the truck pass, or move to 'Primary' and 'take the road' at a miserable 15 mph?

We all know humans make mistakes. The truck driver, in his anguish of having a 15 mph cyclist in front of him, unintentionally treads on the accellerator instead of the brake.

Now I shall sit here and wait for someone to respond with another "What if".

Top Bottom