Cyclecraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Hi all, New here and returning to cycling after quite sometime!

CYCLECRAFT is not concerned with setting examples to others. Although a skilled rider will often do this as a matter of course, a cyclist is too vunerable to follow rigid rules irrespective of the risk. CYCLECRAFT shows how to respond to actual conditions,not to a rule book........

Page 2 last chapter in 'CYCLECRAFT'

Seems to make it clear early on.

Welcome to the forum...

I made this very point to Jim a few months ago (see: https://www.cyclechat.net/), he didn't get it then, and I'll doubt he'll get it now....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have no fear of large vehicles, it is that I know what damage they can cause. When one is approaching from behind me, I don’t wish to end up mincemeat.
Take the above and apply the below. All from your own mouth Jimbo

The other difference is when riding with other traffic on the road, you MUST make them aware of your intentions. Sign, shout, waggle ass around, anything.

marmalade400

Top tip for overtaking slower cyclist.

Do not get right up behind, hang back about 3 metres.
Change up gear so you are doing 55 - 60 rpm.
Repeatedly look behind to spot a gap in the traffic.
When you see a gap,....
Stand up on the pedals, waggle the handlebars from side to side and put all of your weight on the downward moving pedal many times until you have passed the slower cyclist, saying a cheerie 'Mornin' as you pass.

Its so much easier that way.

Sounds good to me, although there really isn't any need for the waggling about in such a high gear.
So I take it from this you'll now be overtaking sensibly and being friendly to other cyclists rather than sucking their wheels, shouting at them and giving them dirty looks?

Also, 3 metres is still a little close, you should be planning your overtake quite a bit before you get that close.

jimboalee

Take the above and apply the below. All from your own mouth Jimbo

This afternoon. Truck aproaching behind and slowed to my speed cus the lane was narrow.

Jimbo is aware of his prescence.

Jimbo spots a private driveway 50 or so yards ahead. Signals LEFT and looks round at truck.

Jimbo pulls into driveway and lets truck pass.

Driver gives short toot of thanks.

When truck has passed, jimbo gets on with his 100km DIY.

Jimbo notices truck was from the Netherlands ( NL ).

Just one of about half a dozen occasions where I gave way to faster traffic.

Another occasion of near identical description was up the incline between Stratford u Avon and The Stag at Redhill.

I'm pretty sure someone will criticise my riding techniques. That a given.

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1225152"]
How heavy is a double decker?

I rode out of town up the Pershore Rd this afternoon. I met a bus at the bottom of Hurst St, and we kept up with each other all the way to Stirchley. It included multiple passes, none of which caused anyone a problem. I passed him at lights and stops, he passed me when he caught up, giving plenty of room. No riding in the gutter, no holding anyone up. Perfect harmony. And that's one of the reasons I commute.

If I had to pull over every time anything bigger than a Transit approached, the bike would be pointless.

Your truck example Jim is irrelevant, because it's about the driver's attitude and not the correct way to ride on the road.

I've got Cyclecraft by the way. It's been on a bookshelf for about 12 months. I've not had the time to open it.
[/quote]

I'm no stranger to playing 'Leap frog' with buses. :biggrin:

Coventry Road, Stratford Road, Warwick Road, Yardley Wood Rd, Outer circle, Birchfield Rd, Aldridge Road, College Rd, Soho Rd, Hollyhead Road; and yes, the 'piece of p*ss' Pershore Road.
That's just Brum. Arterial routes in and out of Cov' Leamington, Redditch, Bromsgrove and Wolverhampton.

The Western Avenue from The Target to Hanger Lane, you should try that in the rush hour. North Circular Road from Ealing Common to the Ace Cafe in late afternoon after work.

How about Mission St and El Camino Real. They drive on the wrong side of the road there. And they right turn on red.

I've seen lots of cars smacking into other cars, and I've seen trucks smacking into cars. And, I've seen a bus nudging the bumper of a car.

Now don't tell me its safe. Its never safe. You just have to play it as it happens.

jimboalee

Hi all, New here and returning to cycling after quite sometime!

CYCLECRAFT is not concerned with setting examples to others. Although a skilled rider will often do this as a matter of course, a cyclist is too vunerable to follow rigid rules irrespective of the risk. CYCLECRAFT shows how to respond to actual conditions,not to a rule book........

Page 2 last chapter in 'CYCLECRAFT'

Seems to make it clear early on.

That means "Follow the advice you have just read at your own risk".

Perfect legal disclaimer.

He has to say this because when some newbie cyclist is crushed by a truck while riding in the 'Primary' position through a narrow bollard constriction, his/her next of kin and the trucking company will employ lawyers to pin the blame on CYCLECRAFT because the desceased read about 'taking primary' in the book.

Its the difference between 'Death by misadventure' and Franklin going up for 'Negligent manslaughter'.

Its the same when you go Indoor Karting. They show you where the accelerator and the brake pedals are, and a few hints and tips on taking bends. Then they tell you "What you do out there is your own responsibility", and make you sign a disclaimer to absolve the karting Co. of any dreadful happening that might take place.

So read between the lines. Franklin ( or the publishers ) puts in the disclaiming sentence because THEY KNOW, some time in the future, someone will come to grief and they will have fingers pointed at them.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
'jimbo', I am sure you are a very nice guy, but you seem to be under the impression that anything that comes into your head is worth posting. I am sure I am not the only one who can tell the difference between a rational, well-presented argument and verbal incontinence.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This afternoon. Truck aproaching behind and slowed to my speed cus the lane was narrow.

Jimbo is aware of his prescence.

Jimbo spots a private driveway 50 or so yards ahead. Signals LEFT and looks round at truck.

Jimbo pulls into driveway and lets truck pass.

Driver gives short toot of thanks.

When truck has passed, jimbo gets on with his 100km DIY.

Jimbo notices truck was from the Netherlands ( NL ).

Just one of about half a dozen occasions where I gave way to faster traffic.

Another occasion of near identical description was up the incline between Stratford u Avon and The Stag at Redhill.

I'm pretty sure someone will criticise my riding techniques. That a given.

i'm not saying thats a bad thing to do, i've done it plenty of times my self, not because i fear the driver or because of some rule you talk about 'give way to faster vehicles' i think you mentioned.
But because i knew i would hold them up for a few hundred meters going up a steep hill, and i thought it would be nice to let them go.

But i don't do this to over vehicle that comes up behind me, depends 100% on the road. (all the times i have done it are on country lanes)

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1225151"]
Top tips for overtaking slower cyclists.

Give them plenty of room.

Cycle faster than they are.

K.I.S.S.
[/quote]

When someone calls me stupid, I will perpetuate.

Now go away and forget me.

Respond and I will return with more cycling anecdotes on when I saw a cyclist under a car.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Oh BTW.

CYCLECRAFT by John Franklin is "The Cyclist's Bible".

Jim, I was saying the same thing a couple of years ago:

If anyone wants to tackle the Old Testament of vehicular cycling, John Forester's "Effective Cycling" (6th Ed) is accessible online:

http://tinyurl.co.uk/9zpq

Whilst it's aimed at a US audience, it was a key source for Franklin's "Cyclecraft" - the New Testament of vehicular cycling.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Some people seem to obsess over the primary position - you seem to be tormented by it. Perhaps it's time to do a little less reading/posting and a little more riding - I always find that clears my head.

I think we've established that very few people seem to think the approach you advocate is generally sensible, practical or safer. However, it could be that you are CC's very own Cassandra and your prognostications of "apocalypse primary" will one day come true.

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1225164"]
It's a commonly used term Jim, don't take it personally. Have you never been in a management meeting?

I was merely pointing out that overtaking another cyclist is very easy. You just give them room and cycle faster. There's no need to go on about weight distribution and pulling on handlebars. You just confuse people when you start rambling unnecessarily, and it's not helpful.
[/quote]

This is not argumental.

The 'waggling of handlebars' and standing up on the pedals are visual clues to other roadusers of my intentions. Signaling with a straight arm out sideways lessens the amount of acceleration one can effect.
A short signal to following traffic is the first sign after the rearward eye-check. Then, standing up and making it look like I am sprinting for world glory is icing-on-the-cake to give the motorist an undisputed idea of what is going to happen next.

This works very effectively when I'm on a dropped handlebar sports or race bike. On a straight bar bike, the mere sight of me standing up is enough to get the message across that I'm going to accelerate. Trouble is, with such low gears on my Sturmeys, its difficult to overtake in a hurry. If I stand up and dump my weight on the pedal of my BSA, I 'spin out' after 3 seconds ;)

Yes, I have been in Management meetings.
"OK, so were all singing off the same hymn sheet" means 'There's no room for independant thinking here.'

JoysOfSight

I cycle a lot, and so I overtake people a lot (this isn't London, I am a big fish in a small pond). I just do it by not braking and turning the bar if necessary so I don't ram them, but instead go around the side.

I'm now very concerned that I have been doing it wrong all these years. I don't stand up, or thrash the bars from side-to-side, or anything fancy really. Have I been living on borrowed time?

Same applies to traffic position. If I'm going to be going at the same speed as the cars, I have to say I prefer to be in front of one, and in their mind, than beside one, and out of it. Just seems like simple commonsense to me - after all, by far the majority of crashes in town are conflicting junction movements, right? - like left and right hooks and people pulling out because they missed you bumping along in the gutter.

Better avoided if you ask me.

jimboalee

OK, I admit it. I was riding along a quiet country lane north of Warwick when I saw the slow cyclist ahead.

Just as I was approaching him, a pair of bunny rabbits looked up to see what the commotion was, so I stood on the pedals and waggled my ass to impress Flopsy and Mopsy.

Caught red handed.

Does anyone want to see the cartoon version?

Top Bottom