CycleSurgery.com Poor Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

climbthis

Purchased a 2009 Giant Defy 1 online with CycleSurgery.com in August 09 took the bike out on a 40 mile ride to test set-up and all seemed fine. The bike was then stored in the garage as i used my old Raleigh for training rides deciding to save the Giant Defy for the sportive season.
Well, three quarters of the way around the Northern Rock Cyclone the front derailleur stuck on the big cog, less than 100 miles in total ridden on the bike!:biggrin:
Took the bike to a local Giant Dealer who informed me that it was a front left shifter failure and i was another victim of the dreaded Shimano 105 left shifter syndrome and that he didn`t want to get involved as he said " whoever took the profit on the bike should do the work to contact Shimano to get the replacement , contact who sold you the bike ! and Giant dealers are supposed to work together ,nice.
Contacted CycleSurgery who informed me to return the shifter for replacement , not wanting to invalidate the warranty took the bike to another Giant Dealer who kindly removed the lever for me and informed me that this wouldnt have happened if id bought it at his LBS he would have replaced the lever there and then, this is what you get when you buy online and how true his words are , think long and hard before buying online, maybe a bargain at the time but if anything goes wrong forget it they don`t want to know :smile:
Sent shifter off to CycleSurgery.com with receipt and covering letter, at cost to me , waited a week and then contacted them to be told that they have sent it of to Shimano -Maddison and was nothing to do with them anymore .......................so at the moment my bike sits once again stored in the garage ....... now without the left shifter stripped of bar tape and cabling, and with me nowhere to turn for help.

OP
OP
climbthis

climbthis

Just a quick update, just got off the telephone with CycleSurgery.com and they will not except responsibility and that the shifter is with Shimano for assessment and will act only on Shimano`s response, and that I remain patient and await Shimanos decision as to whether they will replace,repair or not under warranty, suggesting that i may have shifted to rough and heavy handed and broke something internally.Sad.
I am now in the lap of the Shimano gods !

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
climbthis said:
Just a quick update, just got off the telephone with CycleSurgery.com and they will not except responsibility and that the shifter is with Shimano for assessment and will act only on Shimano`s response, and that I remain patient and await Shimanos decision as to whether they will replace,repair or not under warranty, suggesting that i may have shifted to rough and heavy handed and broke something internally.Sad.
I am now in the lap of the Shimano gods !

Have a look on here --> http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ or give them a ring and find out exactly where you stand.

IIRC, the seller only has to replace them if they go wrong within quite a short time period after the sale.

It is their reponsibility to honour the guarantee that the manufacturer offers, which it sounds like they are doing by passing the broken items back to Shimano for assessment and repairreplacement. If they could fix the brifter themselves, then I am fairly sure that they would have as it would be quicker and cheaper for them. Although I would have thought it would be Giant rather than Shimano who they dealt with...

Ah here you go;
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...r_rights.htm#your_rights_when_things_go_wrong

OP
OP
climbthis

climbthis

Thxs for the sound advice and links,will leave a reply when this matter is resolved to let you know the outcome . Just wanted to share my experience with you all, and hope you don`t encounter the shimano 105 left shifter debacle, appears to be a big issue that shimano is ignoring:/. Thxs once again. :smile:

Shaun

Founder
I've moved this as the reviews forum is strickly for reviews; this is a discussion of a problem/issue with a supplier.

Cheers,
Shaun

There are now two threads about Cyclesurgery.com on the first page of Bike, Accessories and Kit. Are they perhaps related? I think we should be told!

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you're anywhere near London my advice would have been to take the bike into a branch and talk to them in person. I've never used their mail order service, but I find the bricks & mortar outlets usually quite good - and they will pricematch internet prices too if you take a printout of the web page

OP
OP
climbthis

climbthis

Told what ? the threads are two separate threads ............. lost me on that michaelrmgreen.......i`m just sharing my experience ,if more of the community did maybe others may not suffer the same problems

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My advice for what it's worth is when dealing with Giant bikes, call them direct then get them to call your nearest Giant dealer and sort out things before you arrive.

I broke a Giant frame last year, called Giant, told them I expected them to replace it. They called Bexley Bikes (or Action bikes or whatever its called nowadays) and asked me to take it in so it could be checked against me doing bunny hops on it or something. All went smoothly apart from a condescending member of staff who insisted I shouldn't commute on a racing bike.

e-rider

crappy member
Yes the dreaded 105 LH shifter fault - from what I've heard Shimano have nearly always replaced these under warranty and often upgraded to Ultegra as that doesn't have the same 'fault'. The new 2010 105 shifters are now double and triple specific.

It might be worth noting that the failure of these 105 shifters is a result of the rider not using them correctly so I'd say that although the design isn't great in that it's fairly easy for the rider to break them by overshifting, essentially, if you use them correctly they won't break.

A note on Cyclesurgery - used them once online and never again - rubbish!

Shaun

Founder
climbthis said:
Told what ? the threads are two separate threads ............. lost me on that michaelrmgreen.......i`m just sharing my experience ,if more of the community did maybe others may not suffer the same problems

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

No worries on the wrong forum but, but michaelrmgreen does have a point - especially since the other thread is one from 2009 that you have bumped just because you are unhappy with the service you have received.

I've no problem with you discussing your issues here in your own thread, but please don't troll / bump other threads just because they mention CycleSurgery.

Thanks,
Shaun :thumbsup:

OP
OP
climbthis

climbthis

Once again apologies , certainly was not my intention to troll/bump an old thread didn`t cross my mind when i posted that thread would be pushed forward. It showed up in Similar Threads, read thread and and posted my comment , many people read old threads, should be nothing wrong with posting however old the thread surely , it was asking for comments on cyclesurgery service and i posted my view. Will not post on any other thread . Have deleted offending post. Sorry.

Top Bottom