Cycling after an angioplasty (stent)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
So, saw the cardiologist last night (lovely guy)
He's booked me in for a angiogram and possibly and angioplasty in the near future.

I've been put on Statins and Beta blockers starting today. I'm a bit curious as to how they will affect me, both in my day to day life and cycling. Being only 34 I hope to still be able to keep up with my friends, who i've been faster than for a while, especially on the track and up the hills...

Time will tell.
No personal experience, but as my family has a huge history of heart disease I have always had an interest. Statins can be a bit hit and miss, my brother seems really happy to be on his reporting only slight niggles here and there, my cousin came off his as the cramp he was getting was insufferable and he couldn't even get up to his own bed at night. I think the beta blockers are to make sure your heart doesn't beat faster than a certain level so you may find your out of breath a bit sooner than usual. Probably takes a bit of getting used to, but if they get it right it shouldn't affect your life too much.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So, saw the cardiologist last night (lovely guy)
He's booked me in for a angiogram and possibly and angioplasty in the near future.

I've been put on Statins and Beta blockers starting today. I'm a bit curious as to how they will affect me, both in my day to day life and cycling. Being only 34 I hope to still be able to keep up with my friends, who i've been faster than for a while, especially on the track and up the hills...

Time will tell.

You will find many different opinions on statins. I’ve been on Atorvastatin for two years with no side effects. I’ve discussed my medications with my GP and have reached the conclusion for me the better option is to continue with them. I may be old school but I’m very inclined to go with my GP’s advice.

I don’t take beta blockers as my HR is already low.

As Viking said you will get a whole range of tests, very extensive, every year which I find reassuring. It’s a great feeling to sit with the practice nurse and be given a run through of one’s results - so far mine have come back 100%

These tests don’t include prostate cancer which for men of my age I would expect to be included. It probably doesn’t concern yourself.

You will keep up with your friends. Don’t worry. I have to say you sound just like me. After my heart attack my number one concern was would I be able to ride again? Crackers.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Lol thanks PaulSB

After talking with the cardiologist again last night, it seems that the beta blockers and statins may only be temporary. Apparently I’ll be on some form of “super aspirin” forever though

D

Deleted member 1258

Angina in 2008, 4 stents fitted, heart attack last November, 1 stent fitted. You'll be fine, take the tablets you're given, do the cardiac rehab if its offered, listen to the doctors and your body and you'll be back to normal quite quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Lol thanks PaulSB

After talking with the cardiologist again last night, it seems that the beta blockers and statins may only be temporary. Apparently I’ll be on some form of “super aspirin” forever though
That could be Clopidogrel. If it is get used to bruises showing (well that’s what happens to me). After the first stenting, I was on it for a year but I’m now on it permanently, although I now no longer need to take the regular aspirin.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
A side effect for some patients is a persistent cough, it was for me. Watch out for this and ask for an alternative if necessary.

Yes I think my mom had this ... and the cough

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
To update this thread. I had the angiogram and a single stent fitted due to a 100% blockage to my LAD.
By all accounts, I'm lucky to be alive and am only alive due to my heart creating its own natural bypass around the blocked artery.

It was all over within a day and I was back to work within 3 days (and could have gone back sooner)

I'm now on Atorvastatin, Bishophol, Asprin, Clopidogrel, and Ramipril daily which at 34 is a bit of a shock.

I've not been back near a bike yet and can't until I've had an ETT at the cardiac rehab center :sad:

But, I'm still alive and taking the kids to see Santa tonight.. so not all bad :smile:

Slick

Guru
To update this thread. I had the angiogram and a single stent fitted due to a 100% blockage to my LAD.
By all accounts, I'm lucky to be alive and am only alive due to my heart creating its own natural bypass around the blocked artery.

It was all over within a day and I was back to work within 3 days (and could have gone back sooner)

I'm now on Atorvastatin, Bishophol, Asprin, Clopidogrel, and Ramipril daily which at 34 is a bit of a shock.

I've not been back near a bike yet and can't until I've had an ETT at the cardiac rehab center :sad:

But, I'm still alive and taking the kids to see Santa tonight.. so not all bad :smile:
Not all bad at all. Good to see you back and on the road to recovery, nice.:thumbsup:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Excellent news. Our similarities are remarkable. I had 100% blockage on the right and all the surrounding blood vessels are very highly developed as a result of the heart trying to heal itself - seen the pictures! Consequently my heart attack resulted in no longer term damage.

Apart from Bishophol I use the same drugs, you’ll be fine with the bonus you’ll get regular and thorough monitoring for the next 50+ years.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Excellent news. Our similarities are remarkable. I had 100% blockage on the right and all the surrounding blood vessels are very highly developed as a result of the heart trying to heal itself - seen the pictures! Consequently my heart attack resulted in no longer term damage.

Apart from Bishophol I use the same drugs, you’ll be fine with the bonus you’ll get regular and thorough monitoring for the next 50+ years.

Thanks @PaulSB yep sounds the same story as me, although the cardiologist said there was no heart attack involved and that I’m just very lucky and unlucky at the same time.

He said he see’s about 1 case a year like mine involving someone of my age who has no reason to develop CAD (no family history, never smoked, rarely drink and a cholesterol level of 3.5 before taking drugs)

But, I’m still here and will continue with the meds and hopefully get back on the bike PDQ...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Lucky and unlucky is the way to see it. In hindsight I’m pleased I had the heart attack (!) as I might not be writing this if the problem hadn’t been found in time.

Good luck and enjoy the long life ahead of you.

DRM

Guru
I too had a heart attack at the end of September, whilst about 16 miles out from home, I thought that I had bonked or become a bit hypothermic (it was a cold day) & just felt rough with no energy, I only really started to worry when I started to get an ache in my armpits, like a typical head in the sand bloke I continued the loop home, doing 32 miles.
I had the angiogram done, but no stent fitted as the surgeon felt that the blockage was in a strange position & the risk outweighed the benefit, but he did open up the blockage & it's controlled by medication, so as others have said, it's a new beginning, you will get back on your bike, you will still do the climbs, in my case slowly as the beta blocker doesn't allow your heart rate to go too high, but by doing the cardio rehab, then gym work/spin classes & turbo sessions when the weathers too bad, you will be back, better than before, for example I took my bike to Brittany this year, I went out one sunday & a local club run pulled out of a junction about half a mile ahead, the roads were very hilly & without realising it I (captain slow) was catching them, I managed to make it known in broken French I was there & got an invite to join them for a few miles, but I could keep up with them.
I seem to be on the same meds, bisoporol, clopidogrel, asprin & ramipril, as others are, you may find that your extremities feel the cold, and the ramipril makes your nose run, but other than that the most important thing is we are all still here to tell the tale.
So get the cardiac rehab done, then take it slowly on the bike at first & gradually increase the distance, good luck with your recovery.

Top Bottom