Cycling After Angioplasty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2 more stents almost exactly 6 months ago. Angioplasty 1993, 3 stents 2005. Almost back to normal again, but this time I think Statins are causing problems - muscle ache and cramps. I had not been prescribed them as I had problems in the past, and over the years have been prescribed almost every cholesterol lowering substance known to medicine, eventually settling with Ezetimibe. After my recent surgery my cardiologist encouraged me to try and stick with low dose Rosuvastatin - very effective - my cholesterol is now 3.6, with excellent ratios etc, but sadly my leg muscles are not behaving as well as before the recent stents. The only other medication I take is Ramipril, Clopidogrel (for another 6 months) and Aspirin. No beta blockers as I have naturaly low blood pressure, and resting heart rate. It has taken me longer to feel fully fit again than I expected - I think I did too much too soon after the event - not cycling, but in general. Not entirely my fault as I received what in retrospect was conflicting advice about how much I should do or not do, and when. As others have said, listen to your body, and talk to your doctor. There are lots of different drugs available, all with slightly different effects, and some may be better tolerated by you than others. My GP is now going to try changing the Statin prescribed, and probably referring me to a Lipid Clinic at the local Hospital.
I had a similar problem with the statins, tried 3 differant types they all seem to have the same effect, aching muscles and cramps but over time i have got used to them, i think it was my body getting used to them, before my heart prob i would not take any pills that were not prescribed, even asprin , hate tacking them now but i have no choice.^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I was so hoping the Rosuvastatin (Crestor) wouldn't have any side effects. It is now accepted that around 10-15% of us may experience some side effects from Statins, albeit mostly of a minor nature, whereas in the mid 1990s when I was first prescribed them doctors seemed to be a lot less accepting of such reports, and any aches and pains were 'all in the mind', unless confirmed by a liver function test. I am very happy to take them if the right one for me could be found as I understand they have a protective function over and above their cholesterol lowering effect.

Wow, I'm amazed how many of you have had medical problems. I have had my share recently, although my heart if fine the old Brain has been playing up. Had a ruptured cerebal aneurysm repaired using platinum coils inserted via the groin and up into the Brain (amazing stuff) and I still have another aneurysm behind one of my eyes which requires further treatment. They tried to address it in the same way but no success, so the options are a stent or a clip, the latter will involve full on surgery and I should find out which it's going to be at the end of this month.

Recovery so far has been great, I spent a little time in hospital to recover from the haemorrhage and to receive treatment. When I first left hospital in mid December I could hardly walk off the ward, and the stairs at home were like the north face of the Eiger! Here I am just over 3 months later and I'm out on the bike almost everyday.
The key is to take things slowly, listen to the medics and to your body. Build up slowly (as frustrating as it can be) and you will get there. My longest ride was just the other day, 40 miles. A long way from the century rides I was doing in the past but hey I'm still here to enjoy it.
The plan now is to be as fit as possible for the next round, whatever that entails. Hopefully I will even get back to work, over three months off so far and going up the wall at times.
Keep up the good work guys, I'm sure we will all get there in the end.

I was a surprised guest of the NHS back in August. I went in as an out-patient for a routine test on a Friday afternoon, and emerged, blinking into the daylight, with a double coronary by-pass ten days later. Hammersmith Hospital and all their people were utterly wonderful, BTW.
They don't want you to do much cycling after cardiac surgery, at least for two months.. They get into your chest by cutting down the middle of your sternum (breastbone) and pulling your ribs apart with clamps to gain access to the heart. When they have finished, they staple the two sides of your ribs back together. It hurts, big-time if you cough in the days after the op, so what they do is give you a rolled up towel to press against the middle of your chest, to restrict movement and pain. It is a surreal sight.....grown men in dressing gowns wandering about with catheters and drips coming out of all corners of their bodies, all clutching towels to their chests, like Sebastian Flyte and his teddy in Brideshead Revisited.

I was told to take Clopidogrel, Atorvastatin and Bisoprolol Fumarate, and have had absolutely no side-effects at all. In the middle of October, I went to see the cardiologist for one last appointment, and asked if I could ride again, and how easily I should take it if I did. " Ride as hard and as far as you like, but don't enter the Tour de France" .

I think she could be wrong. I take enough drugs, FFS.

Crumbs, very nearly nomotion.

I didn't know that. Glad you're still here, mind you, I bet you are too.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thank you Crackle. Strangely enough, I feel a lot better than I have for years, and I never even knew there was something wrong. Odd that.:smile:

Thats the danger, you can carry on with your life blissfully unaware, then one day it ups and bites you on the arse! What I've come to realize over the last few years is that it was slowing me down mentally as well as physically, its something I've not seen mentioned in any of the articles I've read, but I definitely sharpened up after the stenting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thats the danger, you can carry on with your life blissfully unaware, then one day it ups and bites you on the arse! What I've come to realize over the last few years is that it was slowing me down mentally as well as physically, its something I've not seen mentioned in any of the articles I've read, but I definitely sharpened up after the stenting.
I definitely feel that my brain has taken a hammering with my illness. It was already a bit dodgy after carbon monoxide poisoning a few years back but now it is worse.

I was trying to name the thing that a dog sleeps in the other day (i.e. a dog basket) - somebody had to tell me what it was called. I explained to a friend that she needed her phone unlocking - she had to remind me that I did it for her a few weeks ago! I described someone as a necrophiliac when I meant hypochondriac ... :wacko:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
" Ride as hard and as far as you like, but don't enter the Tour de France" .

I think she could be wrong. I take enough drugs, FFS.
:rofl:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This is so true.
It was because of my failing mental faculties (long story short) that I was made redundant (by agreed consent on both parts) at around the same as I had my attack. All the mental and physical effort that went into functioning at work and home combined with the attack and redundancy led my into a long depression. Not knowing why I was no longer my upbeat, caring and energetic self, and not being able to explain to my family why I was increasingly incapable at work and home has had many long term ramifications.
The stenting helped enormoulsy, but the effect of the Beta-Blockers still drags.

D

Deleted member 1258

This is so true.
It was because of my failing mental faculties (long story short) that I was made redundant (by agreed consent on both parts) at around the same as I had my attack. All the mental and physical effort that went into functioning at work and home combined with the attack and redundancy led my into a long depression. Not knowing why I was no longer my upbeat, caring and energetic self, and not being able to explain to my family why I was increasingly incapable at work and home has had many long term ramifications.
The stenting helped enormoulsy, but the effect of the Beta-Blockers still drags.

Thats something else that I've not seen much about in the articles I've read, but my Dr was asking about my mental state last time I saw him and was saying depression isn't uncommon.

Top Bottom