Cycling after Robotic Radical Prostatectomy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Please note:

This is not a sympathy thread, I seek experience and practical advice. No hugs are needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thursday last I had a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy.

I'm interested to know the practical experience of anyone here who has been through this or has real knowledge about getting back on the bike.

PS If anyone has info they want to share but does not want to Go Public, PM conversations will be good

Sharky

Guru
Following various broken bones, I have always made a slow restart via a static (non smart) turbo, before venturing out on the road.

Whilst not exactly the same procedures, I've had a couple 'down there' and can report...

Prostate reduction in 2018 (age 50) via TURP and that was two weeks off the bike completely, followed by short, gentle turbo sessions for 6 weeks, slowly building in intensity. By +10 weeks I was back to normal.

Then on 1st March this year (55) I had a Low Anterior Resection of my sigmoid colon by laproscopic surgery (i.e. bowel cancer surgery), but with a 'caesarian' style scar where the 17cm x 7.6cm dia. chunk of my gut came out. That would be a similar type of procedure to yours I guess? (i.e. keyhole cancer surgery with some bonus lymph nodes thrown in). I was on my feet with the Enhanced Recovery Programme in hospital within 24 hours, home on day +3, going for long local walks for a week until the pissing rain made me choose the gym treadmill and back on the turbo after again about 2-3 weeks. Starting gently and building up. Once I'd got back to the gym, promising myself it was just walking indoors, it was only a short step to thinking 'well, arms and upper body and legs can't hurt - just don't do anything that's going to blow a stitch in the middle bit.'

The key throughout seems to be to listen to your body more intently that you ever have before.

If there's chemo in your future, that's another 'fun' process! I start my second cycle in two days and the first cycle could be charaterised as feeling 70-90% ok 90% of the time, then feeling absolutely knackered all of a sudden for the other 10%. At which point, don't fight it, have a kip, reset, go again. Rinse, repeat.

• Stay local or indoors at first.
  • If it hurts, stop.
  • Oh, and get a cutaway saddle.
  • Definitely get a cutaway saddle!

Wishing you all the best.

Please note:

This is not a sympathy thread, I seek experience and practical advice. No hugs are needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thursday last I had a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy.

I'm interested to know the practical experience of anyone here who has been through this or has real knowledge about getting back on the bike.

PS If anyone has info they want to share but does not want to Go Public, PM conversations will be good
I had the exact operation as you for early stage prostate cancer at Addenbrookes Hospital in September 2012.
My job at the time entailed heavy lifting so i didn't go back for eight weeks.
With reference to getting back on the bike,i think it was about six months but that was due to not riding in the winter months so i probably could have ridden earlier.
Sorry i couldn't help you anymore with that but it was nearly eleven years ago.
The best thing would be to ask your consultant.
I was discharged after five years as my psa levels were at the lowest reading and i have never looked back.
I wish you all the best going forward.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I had the exact operation as you for early stage prostate cancer at Addenbrookes Hospital in September 2012.
My job at the time entailed heavy lifting so i didn't go back for eight weeks.
With reference to getting back on the bike,i think it was about six months but that was due to not riding in the winter months so i probably could have ridden earlier.
Sorry i couldn't help you anymore with that but it was nearly eleven years ago.
The best thing would be to ask your consultant.
I was discharged after five years as my psa levels were at the lowest reading and i have never looked back.
I wish you all the best going forward.

Thank you!

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Thank you!

I asked him soon post op and he said to protect his handwork for as long as possible. Not less than 8 weeks better 12 - and use a split saddle!

I'm seeing him tomorrow. But considering the location of the now-removed prostate, I'm not looking forward to a standard saddle!

Top Bottom