Cycling against the flow of traffic in a cycle lane,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some lanes are designed like this. Did you check ?

Slick

Guru
Sometimes it isn't immediately obvious what you should and shouldn't do, especially when the lane in question is just paint. Obviously it very much depends on the circumstances, as I think we can all agree, as a race, humans are ar5e holes. :okay:

Screenshot_2022-06-20-23-09-49.png

Screenshot_2022-06-20-23-06-45.png

Stephenite

Membå
Over here in Norway the 'older guard' can sometimes be seen cycling in the cycle lane on the opposite side of the road. I have heard it was acceptable in the past. Only once in the past twenty years have i seen someone under c.30 years of age doing it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I see that as just like any other ride or ride in the direction of the traffic and nothing else

winjim

Smash the cistern
Christ that's narrow, I thought it was just the edge of the carriageway. But with traffic flow on that, I'd say. No contraflow indicated in the lane or on the sign, two way street, lanes both sides.

Sorry, 'lanes'.

If you ride against the traffic in lanes like those pictured above, then what do you do when you encounter another cyclist coming in the opposite direction ?
Absolutely Dave. I ride the cycle lane on this road regularly . One cyclist is a going to end up in front of an oncoming vehicle. The road has several buses an hour Monday to Sat. If a bus has to swerve around such a situation, it creates another potential hazard for traffic coming the other way :stop:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I tend to put such things down to the "cyclists are pedestrians with wheels" viewpoint that's encouraged by the proliferation in pavement cycling. Pedestrians are often instructed to walk against the traffic flow, mainly so they can see an impending collision in time to dive into the hedge, as far as I can make out.

Faced with an oncoming cyclist on such a cycle lane (which is a normal with the traffic flow lane), I'd move right in to the edge, and keep going until it was obviously necessary to stop. The oncoming cyclist is the one who can see any approaching traffic behind you, and is therefore better able to judge whether it's safe to move out of the lane or not, and in the event of any collision, being on the pavement side means that's where you're likely to land, whilst the other chap ends up under the carm (potentially).

Top Bottom