Cycling & Age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
At 70 I am still chasing PRs on Strava. Only down hill and on the flat. Mostly in my age group 70 to 74.👍^_^

After my last ride, I've decided I will NOT be chasing PRs on downhills any more.

And on topic, yes, it has also shown me just how much slower we are to heal as we age. The bike is still in the shop, but I'm not sure my shoulder (not the wrist) is fit to ride it yet if I do get it back in the next few days. And that is nine weeks after the crash.

I'm 57 and can do 50+ mile rides at the drop of a hat. I did a 75 mile road ride the other week with no special training, at a decent average of 17mph. I still play six-a-side football too. Fitness is not the issue for me, but aches and pains are though (knees and ankles). I still do 50-odd mile off road rides too. I also do a few trail centres. I still seem to bounce well for an old'un, though I give the insane downhill routes a miss. Diet is the big thing. Eat well, and not too late or too much. Hills are getting harder though.

57 is far too young to be talking about cycling and age, if you are lucky enough not to suffer from poor health. I was also doing those sorts of rides at 67 but have got noticeably worse in the eight years since then.

Top Bottom